|Welcome, Help and Resources||2020 Team Assignments||2020 Team Projects||Past Projects|
Assignment Team: Canadian food substitutes, food additives, and food regulations
July 21, 5:30 pm (team component)
July 23, 5:30 pm (individual component, to be submitted on Canvas)
This is where you will report research you did on a food your team like and it's alternative (fat free, reduced sugar, etc). This enables us to create a database on ingredients used in our food systems, allowing us to make informed food choices.
Here are some steps and resources to help you create your page and have it appear on UBC wiki, so that it can be easily accessed by your peers and your instructor, and eventually, the UBC community.
1. Login to the UBC Wiki
Click the CWL button on the top of the page and login from there.
2. Create Your Assignment Page
Once your team have decided what product and its alternative to investigate, you may create your assignment page here.
Again, make sure you are already logged in to the UBC Wiki before the next step.
- Pick your assignment title:
- Suggestion: use BrandName_ProductName_Detail(IfAny)
- For example: Kraft_Yoghurt_Peach.
- Just add the title of your project to the box below and click on the create page button
- On the edit screen that loads, add some preliminary details to the edit screen and hit SAVE at the top or bottom of the page
- You may start writing your report here
3. Add Your Information to the Assignment Table
Once you have created your wiki page, add your team information the assignment table below.
4. Begin Writing!
Your new wiki page will be created with some suggested headings and sections.
Select a food product
Select a food project available in Canada and one of its 'low fat', 'zero sugar', etc. alternative. Your options are unlimited: ice cream, cookies, beverage, and of course the wide and wild range of flavours, too. However, the two products that you are comparing should be similar, with one of them an alternative version of the other.
Include photos of the two products of your choice, clearly showing the ingredient lists and the overall labels - mandatoy, if you don't show it, the TA's can't mark the rest.
Ingredient lists (6 points)
- Type out the lists of ingredients
- Identify fat substitutes, sugar substitutes, and/or additives used, if there is any
- Explain the roles of fat substitutes, sugar substitutes, and/or additives used in terms of the functional properties they contribute to the product
- Compare and contrast the lists of the two products and explain differences
Labels (2 points)
- Provide detailed description of the information found on the labels
- Indicate whether the information complies with the regulatory requirements as outlined in Lesson 04.
Please submit your individual component here on Canvas to protect your privacy and your personal opinion