SPPH381B Participatory Assignment #1: Essays
Each student will produce a short essay on one of the 5 following topics from the introductory portion of the course. Worth 5% of course mark.
It’ll be first come for topic selection, first served! Two students per topic.
Final version will be put up on wiki. We’ll do in stages:
- Student produces a first draft. Around 1200 words (2 pages single spaced). Start with the material we covered in class, put into your own words. You can expand by adding your own examples, or adding other relevant information you can find from reading, and your own research. It’ll have to be succinct, and should cover the all the main points covered (2.5%)
- Instructor will review and make suggestions for a second draft. Second draft changes submitted to instructor (1%)
- 2nd draft will be loaded onto wiki. Other class members can then contribute to the page to earn up to additional (1.5%)
- Early history of occupational health (up to and including Bernadino Ramazzini).
- History of occupational health since Ramazzini.
- Modern occupational health policy; prevention and compensation.
- Why is it important to study occupational health?
- Workplace hazards in the modern workplace.
- Be sure to cite the work of other’s properly; see UBC library “How to Cite” page
Link to your Userpage
Creating Your Wiki Entry
Here are some steps and resources to help you create your page and have it appear on the index for this portal (right side) , so that it can be easily accessed by your peers and your instructor.
Login to the UBC Wiki
Click the CWL button on the top left of the page and login from there.
Create your Assignment Page
We have made it easy for you to create your assignment page right from here. Once you are on the create page - edit the page with a few words and SAVE. If you've created the page successfully, your page link will appear on the infobox index under student project (this is the box on the right side of the page).
Following are some links to help documentation for some common things people need to do when creating a wiki entry.
|7 Things About Wikis||Basic Formatting||Adding Images
|Adding a Sandbox Page||Open Licenses|