Introduction to Soil Science
|Instructors:||Dr. Maja Krzic; Dr. Sandra Brown|
|Office:||MCML 227 (Maja); MCML 229 (Sandra)|
|Instructors' Office Hr:||Wed 12-1 pm|
Lab: MCML 102A
|Lecture Notes||Lab Manual|
|Lab Assign.||My Grades|
At this page you can find information to help you with APBI 200 labs & lab assignments.
General Tips for APBI200 Labs
- Always bring lab manual to the lab
- Read info about the upcoming lab before coming to the lab.
- All lab assignments are to be submitted as hard copies (in drop in boxes outside of the MCML102 lab). Please include your name (full name and nickname) and student number,on the front page of the assignment.
- Lab assignments are due by 5pm a week after your lab (e.g., if you have a lab on Tuesday, your assignments is due following Tuesday by 5 pm)
- All lab assignments should be handed in on time and a 10% mark subtraction will be made for each day being late. Assignments submitted passed day 4 will not be accepted.
- You will need to bring your lab coats
APBI200 lab sections and lab instructors:
|Monday||1 - 3 pm||Maja Krzic / Sandra Brown|
|Monday||3 - 5 pm||Kiran Padda|
|Tuesday||8 - 10 am||Trish|
|Tuesday||10 am - noon||Akshit Puri|
|Tuesday||1 - 3 pm||Alex|
|Tuesday||3 - 5 pm||Alex|
|Wednesday||8 - 10 am||Teresa|
|Wednesday||1 - 3 pm||Bryan|
|Wednesday||3 - 5 pm||Maja Krzic / Sandra Brown|
|Thursday||10am - 12 pm||Amy|
Conversion help and hints
Attached document is intended to provide help with conversions and it will be useful throughout the course.
Unit conversion help
Lab 1 Assignment
Lab 1 is a field trip - weather permitting. The lab #1 (during week of Jan 13-16, 202) has been cancelled due to snow.
You should however read the section in your lab manual for this lab as it provides information on soil formation factors.
No lab assignment to hand in this week.
Lab 2 Assignment
Reminder for ALL lab assignments::
- All lab assignments are to be submitted as hard copies (in drop in boxes outside of the MCML102 lab).
- Lab assignments are due by 5pm a week after your lab (e.g., if you have a lab on Tuesday, your assignments is due the following Tuesday by 5 pm)
Useful tips re. this lab:
- Collection of videos showing different types of parent material in their typical landscape settings can be found at Soil Formation and Parent Material - https://landscape.soilweb.ca/
- Another useful website where you can observe various parent materials is UBC Soil Monolith collection - https://monoliths.soilweb.ca/tutorial/
- Tutorial practice questions mentioned in the "Virtual Soil Monolith Collection" cannot be accessed at that website, so they are posted here Practice questions
Lab 3 Assignment
Lab assignment - Texture and bulk density
Pls read the manual. Introduction for each lab includes all the information needed to answer lab assignment questions.
Pls attach the following to your lab assignment:
•Your hydrometer data sheet with sample calculations written out for at least one line in the data collection table (ie one time of measurement).
•The particle-size distribution curve. Don’t forget to include a title and axes labels. Indicate the % sand, silt and clay and the soil textural class.
•The table regarding the soil texture of two “mystery” samples (determined by hand-texturing). Include a brief justification of your answer.
•Calculation for sample used for demonstration of bulk density determination by core method.
Semi log paper (needed to draw the particle-size distribution curve) can be found in the attached pdf file. Bonus mark if you plot the data in Excel (but pls remember to use semi-log scale). Semi-log graph paper
Lab 4 Assignment
Lab assignment - Water retention
Required attachments for lab assignment:
•Your data collection sheet with calculations written out for both samples parameters (lines a through k), and for the first 2 tension values. Be sure to include units when you enter your data and to keep track of units when making your calculations.
•The water retention curves for medium and fine sand samples indicating air entry value (AEV) and air intrusion value (AIV). Use your data that you collected in the lab and also data provided in the appendix A (on p.92) of the lab manual.
Lab 5 Assignment
Please note that some tips re. unit conversion can be found in the attached [file http://lfs-sw.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2017/02/Lab_4-unit-conversion-tips.pdf]
The data set for soil organic matter calculation is available at SOM google spreadsheet
The data for soil water content calculation is available at Soil water content google spreadsheet
Lab 6 Assignment
- Pls note that it is important to view videos posted at the "Forest Floor" website (http://forestfloor.soilweb.ca/), which provides all necessary information for our lab 6.
- Here is file with slides for this lab http://lfs-sw.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2015/03/FF_LAB6_Mar1615.pdf
Lab 7 Assignment - is now online; assignment due date April 2
Overview of this online lab, its learning objectives, and instructions can be found in this video clip Online lab #7
Presentation slides shown in the video clip mentioned above, can be found here Presentation slides for online lab #7
Virtual Lab 7 - the lab assignment is given below in word and pdf formats. Please review lecture notes for Mar 23-27, read the lab manual, and watch the online lab 7 video clip prior to doing your lab assignment.
Lab assignments for this virtual lab must be uploaded to Canvas (microsoft word or pdf formats accepted) on or before 5:00 pm on April 2.
Lab 8 Assignment - CANCELLED
As per message from President Ono sent out on Mar 13, 2020 https://broadcastemail.ubc.ca/ we need to transfer all classes (including labs) online. This particular lab cannot be moved online, hence it is CANCELLED