Documentation:CHBE Exam Wiki/Midterm Exam 1 2016W/MT1 Question 1

From UBC Wiki
CHBE 241
Exam resources wiki
Example alt text
Chemical and Biological Engineering
Welcome to the CHBE Exam Resources Wiki!

This wiki is intended to host past exams

with fully worked-out hints and solutions
Past Exams
Final Exam 2016W
Midterm Exam 1 2016W
Midterm Exam 2 2016W
Problem Sets
Module 1 - Process Basics
Module 2 - Reactors
Module 3 - Separations 1
Module 4 - Separations 2
Module 5 - Non-reactive Energy Balances
Module 6 - Reactive Energy Balances

Maple syrup is produced by concentrating the sap from maple trees. An initial stream of sap containing only sugar and water is fed into a reverse osmosis unit to remove pure water and concentrate the sugar. Following that the sugar solution is further concentrated in an evaporator which again removes pure water.

Question 1a [15 points]

Draw a flowchart for this process showing the process units and labelling what components are contained in each stream.

Question 1b [10 points]

The initial stream of sap enters the process at a total flow rate of 75.0 L/min and has a specific gravity of 1.035, it contains 12000 ppm (by weight) of sugar, what is the flow rate of water into the process in kg/min?

Question 1c [15 points]

The entire process produces a final solution containing 67.0 weight percent sugar. Of all the water removed in the process, 70.0% is removed by the reverse osmosis unit and the other 30.0% removed by the evaporator. How much water is removed in the reverse osmosis unit in kg/min?

Script error: The function "navbox" does not exist.