Student Peer Assessment (Teaching and Learning)
|This article is a stub. You can help the UBC Community by expanding it.|
|This page is part of the Teaching and Learning Resources Portal|
- 1 Bibliographies
- 2 Help Develop This Resource
Peer Assessment of Groupwork/Participation
- Freeman, M. (1995). Peer assessment by groups of group work. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 20(3), 289-300.
- James E Heyman, & John J Sailors. (2011). Peer assessment of class participation: Applying peer nomination to overcome rating inflation. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, 36(5), 605.
- Paletz, S. B. F., & Schunn, C. D. (2011). Assessing group-level participation in fluid teams: Testing a new metric. Behavior Research Methods, 43(2), 522-536.
- Rosas, J., & Camarinha-Matos, L. (2009). An approach to assess collaboration readiness. International Journal of Production Research, 47(17), 4711-4735.
- Thompson, D., & McGregor, I. (2009). Online self- and peer assessment for groupwork. Education & Training, 51(5-6), 434-447
- Tiew, F. (2010). Business students' views of peer assessment on class participation. International Education Studies, 3(3), 126-131.
Peer Assessment as a Learning Process
- Boud, D., Cohen, R., & Sampson, J. (1999). Peer learning and assessment. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 24(4), 413-426.
- Dziedzic, M., Janissek, P. R., & Bender, A. P. (2008). Assessment by peers - an effective learning technique. 38th Annual Frontiers in Education Conference, Saratoga Springs, NY. T2F-1-T2F-5.
- Kollar, I., & Fischer, F. (2010). Peer assessment as collaborative learning: A cognitive perspective. Learning and Instruction, 20(4), 344-348.
- El-Mowafy, A. (2014). Using peer assessment of fieldwork to enhance students’ practical training. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 39(2), 223-241.
- Liu, N., & Carless, D. (2006). Peer feedback: The learning element of peer assessment. Teaching in Higher Education, 11(3), 279-290.
- Ertmer, P. A., Richardson, J. C., Belland, B., Camin, D., Connolly, P., Coulthard, G., . . . Mong, C. (2007). Using peer feedback to enhance the quality of student online postings: An exploratory study. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 12(2), 78-99.
- Tsai, C., & Liang, J. (2009). The development of science activities via on-line peer assessment: The role of scientific epistemological views. Instructional Science, 37(3), 293-310.
- van Gennip, N. A. E., Segers, M. S. R., & Tillema, H. H. (2010). Peer assessment as a collaborative learning activity: The role of interpersonal variables and conceptions. Learning and Instruction, 20(4), 280-290.
- Yang, Y., & Tsai, C. (2010). Conceptions of and approaches to learning through online peer assessment. Learning and Instruction, 20(1), 72-83.
Learning Outcomes/Effect of Peer Assessment
- Amhag, L. (2013). Creativity in and between collaborative peer assessment processes in higher distance education. Creative Education, 4(7A2), 94-104. Permalink
- Berg, B. A. M. v. d., Simons, P. R. J., Admiraal, W. F., & Pol, J. v. d. (2008). The nature, reception, and use of online peer feedback in higher education. Computers & Education, 51(4), 1804-1817.
- Cho, K., & MacArthur, C. (2010). Student revision with peer and expert reviewing. Learning and Instruction, 20(4), 328-338.
- Hodgson, P., Chan, K., & Liu, J. (2014). Outcomes of synergetic peer assessment: First-year experience. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 39(2), 168-178.
- Lu, J., & Law, N. (2012). Online peer assessment: Effects of cognitive and affective feedback. Instructional Science, 40(2), 257-275.
- Nicol, D., Thomson, A., & Breslin, C. (2014). Rethinking feedback practices in higher education: A peer review perspective. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 39(1), 102-122.
- van den Boom, G., Paas, F., & van Merriënboer, J. J. G. (2007). Effects of elicited reflections combined with tutor or peer feedback on self-regulated learning and learning outcomes. Learning and Instruction, 17(5), 532-548.
- Wu, C., Chanda, E., & Willison, J. (2014). Implementation and outcomes of online self and peer assessment on group based honours research projects. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 39(1), 21-37.
- Xie, Y., Ke, F., & Sharma, P. (2008). The effect of peer feedback for blogging on college students' reflective learning processes. The Internet and Higher Education, 11(1), 18-25.
Peer Assessment Strategies
- Falchikov, N. (1995). Peer feedback marking: Developing peer assessment. Innovations in Education and Training International, 32(2), 175-187.
- Kane, J. S., & Lawler, E. E. (1978). Methods of peer assessment. Psychological Bulletin, 85(3), 555-586.
- Spratt, C. (2009). Designing, implementing and evaluating a self-and-peer assessment tool for E-learning environments. In C. Spratt, & P. Lajbcygier (Eds.), (pp. 170-194). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- van Zundert, M., Sluijsmans, D., & van Merriënboer, J. (2010). Effective peer assessment processes: Research findings and future directions. Learning and Instruction, 20(4), 270-279.
Developing Peer Assessment Skills
- Gielen, S., Peeters, E., Dochy, F., Onghena, P., & Struyven, K. (2010). Improving the effectiveness of peer feedback for learning. Learning and Instruction, 20(4), 304-315.
- Gouli, E., Gogoulou, A., & Grigoriadou, M. (2008). Supporting self-, peer-, and collaborative-assessment in E-learning: The case of the PEer and collaborative ASSessment environment (PECASSE). Journal of Interactive Learning Research, 19(4), 615-647.
- Liu, X., & Li, L. (2014). Assessment training effects on student assessment skills and task performance in a technology-facilitated peer assessment. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 39(3), 275-292.
Student Perceptions/Experiences of Peer Assessment
- Lin, S. S. J., Liu, E. Z. F., & Yuan, S. M. (2001). Web-based peer assessment: Feedback for students with various thinking-styles. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 17(4), 420-432.
- Liu, C., & Tsai, C. (2005). Peer assessment through web-based knowledge acquisition: Tools to support conceptual awareness. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 42(1), 43-59.
- Papinczak, T., Young, L., & Groves, M. (2007). Peer assessment in problem-based learning: A qualitative study. Advances in Health Sciences Education : Theory and Practice, 12(2), 169-186.
- Vickerman, P. (2009). Student perspectives on formative peer assessment: An attempt to deepen learning? Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 34(2), 221-230.
- Wen, M. L., & Tsai, C. (2006). University students’ perceptions of and attitudes toward (online) peer assessment. Higher Education, 51(1), 27-44.
Help Develop This Resource
Help develop this resource! You only need to login with your CWL to edit this page.
Let us know if you found this resource helpful by filling out this short feedback form.