Pedagogy of Discomfort
|This article is a stub. You can help the UBC Community by expanding it.|
|This page is part of the Teaching and Learning Resources Portal|
- Amsler, S. S. (2011). From "therapeutic" to political education: The centrality of affective sensibility in critical pedagogy. Critical Studies in Education, 52(1), 47-63. Permalink
- Barrett, B. (2010). Is “safety” dangerous? A critical examination of the classroom as safe space. The Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 1(1).
- Brooks, J. G. (2011). Bearing the weight: Discomfort as a necessary condition for "less violent" and more equitable dialogic learning. Educational Foundations, 25(1-2), 43-62. Permalink
- Cooks, L. (2003). Pedagogy, performance, and positionality: Teaching about whiteness in interracial communication. Communication Education, 52(3-4), 245-257. Permalink
- de Freitas, E., & McAuley, A. (2008). Teaching for diversity by troubling whiteness: Strategies for classrooms in isolated white communities. Race, Ethnicity and Education, 11(4), 429-442. Permalink
- Gershon, W. S., Bilinovich, C., & Peel, A. (2010). Race, social studies content, and pedagogy: Wrestling through discomfort together. Canadian Social Studies, 44(1), 29-37. Permalink
- Knight-Diop, M., & Oesterreich, H. A. (2009). Pedagogical possibilities: Engaging cultural rules of emotion. Teachers College Record, 111(11), 2678-2704. Permalink
- Leibowitz, B., Bozalek, V., Rohleder, P., Carolissen, R., & Swartz, L. (2010). "Ah, but the whiteys love to talk about themselves": Discomfort as a pedagogy for change. Race, Ethnicity and Education, 13(1), 83-100. Permalink
- Redmond, M. (2010). Safe space oddity: Revisiting critical pedagogy. Journal of Teaching in Social Work, 30(1), 1-14. Permalink
- Zembylas, M., & McGlynn, C. (2012). Discomforting pedagogies: Emotional tensions, ethical dilemmas and transformative possibilities. British Educational Research Journal, 38(1), 41-59. Permalink
Help Develop This Resource
Help develop this resource! You only need to login with your CWL to edit this page.
Let us know if you found this resource helpful by filling out this short feedback form.