Documentation:MediaWiki Basics/Get Started
Get familiar with UBCWiki
Watch this 4 minute screencast for a great intro to our platform at UBC.
Get an account
- Go to: http://wiki.ubc.ca/
- Click on the CWL Login button in top right corner.
Create your wiki page
- Create the wiki page you have in mind OR
- Create a test page in the Sandbox
When you are ready to create your own page:
- Choose the title carefully. Avoid and special characters like &. You can leave spaces if you want - they will automatically be converted to underscores.
- Simply add the title of your wiki after the url for ubc wikis:
http://wiki.ubc.ca/Your page title here
You may want to search to see if an identical page exists already. If the page does not exist you will be asked if you would like to "create this page". Once you click on that option, you will be taken immediately to the editing screen for your new page.
Get some help
Help:Tutorial - A good place to start if you are not sure what you are looking for.
Help:Contents - Tips for basic formatting/organization.
Help:Editing - Tips for basic and advanced editing, including table creation, using formulas, etc. This link is at the bottom of your editing screen - near the Save page button.
Help:Adding_Media- Examples for adding images, flash files and video.
Having problems with this wiki? Please send support emails to: email@example.com
Drop in Clinics
We host regular support clinics for people using the UBC Wiki. Clinics are currently held every Thursday from 1pm to 3pm at the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology in the Irving K Barber Learning Centre.