Documentation:Course Design Intensive/Facilitators Guidebook/Day 1 Resources
- 1 Day 1 Resources
Day 1 Resources
- Criteria for Big Ideas: http://bit.ly/1kRjJAx
- Criteria for Essential Questions: http://bit.ly/1kHJ3Zt
- Visioning - a learner from the future.
- Taxonomies at a Glance
- Allen, D. & Tanner, K (2007). Putting the Horse Back in Front of the Cart: Using Visions and Decisions about High-Quality Learning Experiences to Drive Course Design CBE Life Sciences Education
- Weimer, M. (2012) Five Characteristics of Learner-Centred Teaching
- (optional) Davidovitch, N. (2013) Learning Centered Teaching and Backward Course Design. pdf
Online Course Design
- Designing an Online Course - CTLT instructional design process
- Online/Blended Course Quality Checklist - UBC
- Connected Learning: an online, open course about open learning. This is an opportunity for further professional development.
Alternate Course Design Planning Approaches
- Concept Maps
Learning Centered Practice
- Paradigm Shifts Doc.
- Fahraeus, A.W.E (2013) Book Review: Weimar, M. (2013) Learner-Centered Teaching: Five Key Changes to Practice. 2nd ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass
- 5 Characteristics of Learner Centered Teaching (2012) Weimer
- Learner-centered teaching: Good places to begin (Faculty Focus Blog Post)
- Course Design and Development Ideas That Work, Weimer 2010.
- CMU's Eberly Teaching Centre's Guide to Learning Objectives
- Checklist for writing outcomes. See pages 1-4 of University of Waterloo’s Course Design Fundamentals worksheet.
- Taxonomies at a Glance
- for a visual representation of Fink's Significant Learning, see Fink, D. (2007) The Power of Course Design to Increase Student Engagement and Learning
Belonging, Diversity and Inclusion
- Diversity and Inclusion in the College Classroom (2014) - Download the full report - a collection of 20 articles - written by faculty - addressing complex and challenging issues in the classroom. Many practical strategies are discussed.
- What I Learned in Class Today- How to talk about aboriginal issues in the classroom.
- Indigenous Foundations
- Sense of Belonging in College Freshmen at the Classroom and Campus Levels (2010)
- The Human Core of Open: Belonging, Relevance & Diversity of Experience (2016) - Mike Caulfield's keynote speech on New Directions in Open Education
- Inclusion By Design: Your Syllabus and Course Design (2016) - interesting survey tool to help you examine the inclusive practices in your own teaching
- Universal Design - UBC-O resource to help faculty with principles that can assist in designing inclusive speeches, presentations, and lectures.
- Group work: Using cooperative learning groups effectively - from Vanderbilt U - Centre for Teaching
- Cornell University: Collaborative Learning: Group Work
- Decoding the Disciplines: a process for increasing student learning by narrowing the gap between expert and novice thinking.
- Middendorf, J. ; Pace, D. (2004). Decoding the Disciplines: A Model for Helping Students Learn Disciplinary Ways of Thinking. New Directions for Teaching and Learning.
- Beware the Expert Blind Spot - Heather Landers - Colorado State University.
- Allan, Joanna (1996). Learning outcomes in higher education. Studies in Higher Education. Vol. 21, Iss. 1.
- Biggs, John (2013). Constructive Alignment in University Teaching. HERDSA, Vol. 1
- Cho, J & Trent, A. (2005). “Backward” Curriculum Design and Assessment: What Goes Around Comes Around,Or Haven’t We Seen This Before?. Taboo: Journal of Culture and Education.
- Davidovitch, N. (2013) Learning Centered Teaching and Backward Course Design. pdf
- Wiggins, Grant P, and Jay McTighe (2005). Understanding by Design. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Print.
- Consultation related to the selection and use of learning technology to help you meet learning outcomes: