Library:EResources&Access Documentation: Using Hootsuite/Ow.ly to Gather Twitter Usage Statistics
Using Hootsuite/Ow.ly to Gather Twitter Usage Statistics
Hootsuite is a Social Media Management tool that includes analytics. Hootsuite is a “freemium” program – it allows limited use for free (two free reports) and advanced features for users who pay.
Ow.ly is a URL shortener (made by Hootsuite) that doubles as a statistics gathering tool. Ow.ly is used as an add-on to enhance the statistics gathering capability of Hootsuite. A user creates tweets within Hootsuite using Ow.ly-shortened URLs. The Ow.ly-shortened URLs have information embedded in them that is recorded by Ow.ly and can be harvested as usage statistics.
Ow.ly should be used for all Twitter URL shortening in favour of sites such as Tiny URL.
Monthly Usage Statistics for UBC Library Communications:
1. The reports (Twitter Profile Overview and Ow.ly Click Summary) will be automatically emailed to email@example.com at the beginning of each month (it has been set up to do so).
2. The reports must then be forwarded to Jessica Woolman: Jessica.Woolman@ubc.ca
How to View/Edit the Reports in Hootsuite:
To view the report:
1. Sign into Hootsuite using the eresources twitter username/password. https://hootsuite.com/dashboard
3. The view defaults to “All Reports” – we have two reports which are “Twitter Profile Overview” and "Ow.ly Click Summary". The procedure for editing either one is the same.
4. Select the report link:
To download a PDF of the report, click the PDF button from the top-right menu:
To edit the report:
1. Click the edit button from the top-right menu:
2. Then click the word “Edit” in the top right hand corner of the section of the report you want to edit:
3. After editing click “Done” (it will replace the word “Edit” after you click it), then click the green "Save Changes" button at the top-right side of the screen.
Go back to ER&A Documentation Home