The easiest way to import content from a web page into the UBC Wiki is to convert the HTML code into Wiki Syntax. Please be mindful of copyright.
As editing of the results is frequently necessary, it is a good idea to be familiar with basic HTML tags and wiki code before trying to convert into MediaWiki markup.
Step by step directions
- Open one of the converters from the list below.
- In a new tab or window, open the webpage that you wish to import into the UBC Wiki.
- This next step depends on which converter you have opened. Do one of the following:
- View the page source (in the right-click menu). Then copy/paste the relevant code (just the content section, not the whole page (see note below)) into the (top) box of the converter.
- Or, copy the link in the "Fetch from URL" box. In this case, you will need to delete the header and footer.
- Note: Generally, for a UBC page, what you want to keep is between <!--//Start Editable Region//--> and <!--//Stop Editable Region//-->.
- Settings (if applicable):
- Wiki Dialect = MediaWiki
- Encode HTML Entities = unchecked
- Click on the "Convert HTML to wiki markup" button (if it doesn't work, use the "Fetch from URL" option or another HTML converter).
- Copy/paste the resulting text into the edit box of the wiki page you have created.
- Preview the page and check that everything looks correct.
- Most errors will be very easy to fix, sometimes the first line of a table isn't on a new line, or a link begins and ends at the wrong places (just move the square brackets).
- If you get funny characters in place of apostrophes for example, the easiest/quickest solution is to copy and paste the wiki code into a text editor and use the "Replace All..." function.
- If you have a lot of HTML left over and/or something goes very wrong, then copy and paste the wiki code into a Strip HTML tool and also copy the following into the "Allow tags" box: <u><center><strike><sup><sub><center><nowiki><tt><pre><ref><blockquote> (you may not want all of these, particularly blockquote) You can then copy and paste the code that tool gives you back into the wiki editing box.
- Please Note: Images will need to be uploaded as only placeholders are created in the code.
Online HTML to Wiki Syntax Converters