Documentation:OpenBadges/Faculty Guide/Web Design
These notes pertain to the redesign of http://badges.open.ubc.ca/ to accommodate a guide for faculty in designing open badge learning pathways for a course or learning activity.
Extension:DynamicPageList (DPL), version 2.3.0 : Warning: No results.
Overall goals for the site
For visitors to:
- understand the affordances of open badges to support learning
- understand how to execute a basic open badge implementation in their WordPress course/learning environment
- assess purpose and goals related to their own badge implementation.
- Quiz on open badge benefits/purpose.
- Nomination for badge on form submission (consider email option for them to send form to themselves as a planning guide).
- Comment: Why do you think open badges are important for your course/project?
Top Level Themes
- Overview: Learn
- Considerations: Plan
- Implementation: Create
- Showcase: Showcase
- Form : Engage
- Community -> Support contacts
This is the overview of the badges:
- What are open badges?
- What is the value of open badges? Examples.
- What are the components of a badge? Anatomy.
- Academic Badge Initiative
- Purpose and goals for badge implementation
- Learning Pathways
- Plugins (Badge OS and Learn Dash -can be a diagram )
- what and how?
- Badge design
- Uploading Image, adding descriptions
- Badge Triggers
- comments, submission, nomination, Quizzing.
- How to make a quiz in Learn Dash
- Quiz limitations
- Note about interface.
- Connect Badges (we should have documentation related to this as well)
- Learning wrapper?
- Pull outs for reminders or "please note"
- Tagging existing posts with themes.
- Showcase form as in TWP15
Web Design 2.0
Content divided between themes
- Educate: information about Open Badges; pedagogy and research; how and why badges are used; further reading. The WHY of Open Badges.
- Technical: toolkits and How To documentation; instructional videos, flowchart of badging process. The HOW of Open Badges.
- UBC: the blog, pilot projects, events. The WHO of the UBC Open Badges project.
Provides information about the project; what the website contains and who it's for; link to the "Earn a Badge" page.
Answers the Who, What, Where, Why and How. Provides summary information about digital badges, open badges, and the badge community
- What are Open Badges
- Why use Open Badges: value and benefits for badge issuers, badge earners, and the badge community
- Who is using Open Badges: links to badging projects in different sectors, possibly with short explanatory notes.
- Badging Pathways: level & metalevel badges, learning pathways
- Further Reading
Educational design, decision making guide.
- Getting Started Toolkit ---- similar to the paper based Badge Design Workbook used in the design studios. Learning pathways.
Similar to the DIY Media Toolkits page, with modular toolkit design.
Must present a clear ordering of steps to badge creation.
- Getting Started Toolkit ---- similar to the paper based Badge Design Workbook used in the design studios. The planning/process/decision making arena.
- Designing a Badge System: learning pathways in more detail, 3Ts
- Badge icon design
- Wordpress: Setting up your Wordpress CMS or blogs site for badging (plugins etc.) // Login Links // Creating a quiz in LearnDash // Creating badges // Setting badge triggers // Credly Integration
- Social Media
Information about the pilot projects at UBC.
- additional reading/bibliography