Documentation:CTLT Resources/Student Peer Assessment
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Introduction to SPA and Overview Documents
- Student Peer Assessment (PDF) - two page handout that provides an overview of Student Peer Assessment including potential benefits and challenges
- Student Peer Assessment: Strategies for Success (PDF) - two page handout that lists questions instructors should consider before implementing Student Peer Assessment along with a brief description of eight research based strategies to help assure success
- Student Peer Assessment Implementation Guide (PDF) - two page handout that provides a list of tips for implementing Student Peer Assessment assignments, including how to obtain buy-in from students, how to prepare students for the activity, how to guide students in the revision process, and tips for grading and evaluation
Building Students' Skills in Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Peer Assessment Training Workshop site - This site contains open-sourced resources that can be used to help your students become more familiar with SPA and help them develop their own skills as reviewers.
- Writing a Critical and Constructive Comment. - This mini-lesson is part of the Peer Assessment Training Workshop site and, as the title implies, focusses on helping students provide written feedback to their peers.
- How to Give and Receive Effective Feedback. - A well laid out resource on the excellent Science Writing Resources for Learning site.
- Guide to Workshop Citizenship (pp 6-7) (in the Creative Writing Program – BFA Student Handbook) - Helpful suggestions for providing feedback on writing.
- Ladder of Feedback Guide (1 page) - The "Ladder of Feedback" is an approach to assessing for understanding that establishes a culture of trust and constructive support.
Comparing Different Tools for Implementing SPA
- Peer Based Assessment Tool Comparison Chart (UBC LT Hub) - If you want to know more about online tools that can help you implement SPA, check out these detailed tables. There is one table that compares tools to assess students' work and another that compares tools used to assess students' contributions to the group.
- Peer Evaluation and Review (Arts ISIT web site). - This site also compares UBC supported tools for SPA.
How Have Faculty Members Incorporated Student Peer Assessment?
- See Student Peer Assessment: Case Studies (UBC CTLT) to learn more about how UBC-V faculty members have incorporated SPA.
- See Peer Assessment Cases to learn how SPA has been implemented at McGill University.
- "Interested in Student Peer Assessment? Planning Your Teaching Approach" - Silvia Bartolic and Jason Myers, 2018 CTLT Winter Institute (Slide Deck, Planning Worksheet)
- "Student Peer Assessment Essentials" - Bosung Kim, Isabeau Iqbal and Jason Myers, BC Campus Symposium, Oct. 2018