| Faculty of Science|
Department of Mathematics
| Course Archive 2011-2012|
MATH 180 / 103
Differential Calculus with Physical Applications
|Class schedule:||Tue Thu<br\>3:30 pm - 5:00 pm|
|Office hours:||by appointment|
- Final Exam : Here are some info about the final exam :
- The exam will take place on Friday 16th December from 12pm to 2.30pm in OSBO A
- Be sure to read this document about the final exam : Final Exam Info
- The answer key of the 2009 exam can be found here, be sure to read it carefully!
- The Math club sells exam packages with answer keys for the previous years' exams.
- I encourage you to go to the Math Learning Centre if you have questions. It is open 9am - 9pm every weekday.
- Review sessions : We will have two review sessions; each sessions will be based on an old final exam (you can nevertheless ask any question) :
- Office hours : I will also have office hours on Thursday 15th December 2.30 - 5.30pm.
- Textbook: We will use Single Variable Calculus, Early Transcendentals, 7th edition by James Stewart. It is available at the UBC Bookstore.
- Clickers: This course will make use of iClickers. A lot of various courses at UBC make use of this technology. You can get your iClicker at the UBC Bookstore and register it under www.vista.ubc.ca. Have a look at the Clickers documentation page for more details.
- Math Learning Centre and AMS Tutoring : If you have questions about the material or some exercises, I highly encourage you to go to the Math Learning Centre situated in the room LSK 100. You can just drop in and it is free. It is open 9am - 7pm Monday to Thursday and 9am - 4pm on Fridays. Graduate students are there to help solve problems and understand concepts. Similarly the AMS offers free math tutoring in the Barber Learning Centre Monday to Thursday 3 - 7 pm, as well as some online tutoring on Sundays. Check the AMS Tutoring page.
- Math 100/180 is a multisection course, have a look at the common webpage for more information and ressources.
- Workshops Page
- Math Learning Centre and AMS Tutoring
- Old exams
- In the classroom we'll all agree to be respectful toward each other. In particular
- To be on time, and if late to be discreet and not to disturb the lecture by our arrival,
- Respect each other when someone is speaking,
- In general, to no disturb the others from following the class.
I am sure we all want this class to be fun, so let's all act accordingly !
- Emails : we'll all answer emails in reasonable time (I'll try to answer as quickly as possible and at least within 36 hours during the week).
If you disagree with any if the items in this section, cut it and paste it the discussion tab and we'll talk about until we agree.
- Homework will be collected at the beginning of class (until 3.45pm). Late homework won't be accepted.
- Midterms : The first midterm will be on the 11th October and the second on the 8th November.
- Grading Scheme
- Clickers : 1 + 1 %
- Assignments : 8%
- Quizzes : 4%
- 1st Midterm : 10%
- 2nd Midterm : 16%
- Workshops : 10%
- Final : 50%