The Centre for Sustainable Food Systems at UBC Farm
3461 Ross Drive, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1W5
Community Partner Name
Dr Hannah Wittman
Availability for Contact
Project Scope Statement
Our food system has undergone significant changes in the last four decades. Technological advancements, market structures, and an increasingly globalized supply chain have impacted the food system at every level: production, processing, distribution, and consumption. Individuals with long-term engagement in food system activities (i.e. farmer, dietician/nutritionist, food retailer, activist, policy maker, restaurateur, agronomist, consultant, environmental quality officer) can provide unique insight into the impacts of the changes in the modern food system. The Centre for Sustainable Food Systems is interested in documenting the experiences of these long-term stakeholders to capture their experiences of change within their field.
Goals and Objectives
The objective of this community project is to interview four individuals with long-term engagement in the food system. Groups will contact, interview, record, analyze and create a short video highlighting the key themes and experiences of the stakeholders.
Recommended Research Methods
Ethnographic Interviews and Data Analysis
Potential Information Sources
- Family Health International, Mack, N., Woodsong, C., United States, & Agency for International Development. (2005). Qualitative research methods a data collector’s field guide. North Carolina: FLI USAID.
- Kodish, S., & Gittelsohn, J. (n.d.). Building Credible and Clear Findings. Retrieved from http://www.sightandlife.org/fileadmin/data/Magazine/2011/25_2_2011/systematic_data_analysis_in_qualitative_health_research.pdf
- Pelto, G., & Armar-Klemesu, M. (2014). Focused Ethnographic Study of Infant and Young Child Feeding 6–23 Months: Behaviors, Beliefs, Contexts and Environments. (No. First Edition) (p. 45). Geneva, Switzerland: Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN).
Example of Video Format
- A short video documenting the stakeholders’ experiences.
- A written report detailing the processes and methods used to identify participants, and collect, analyze, and interpret the data.
Register and sign-up through http://ubcfarm.ubc.ca/community/volunteer-program/