Atomic Structure Summary 1
Atomic Structure 1
- Wave**: a disturbance that transmits energy through a medium
- Wavelength**: distance between the tops of two successive crests
- Frequency**: the number of crests or troughs that pass per unit of time
- Wave Velocity:** wavelength * frequency (m/s)
- Diffraction:** dispersion of different wavelength components of a light beam through the interference produced by interaction with a heterogenous surface.
- Atomic Spectra:** A discontinuous set of light frequencies corresponding to electronic transitions within a substance.
- Blackbody radiation:** light emission by heated solids.
- Photoelectric Effect:** Electrons are emitted when light energy is applied to the surface of some metals.