This kit is from the Soil 4 Youth Website and provides a look at soil as a crucial non-renewable resource, with a lesson on demonstrating the limited amount of topsoil in the world and an experiment showing the rates of erosion under different soil conditions. You can find the lesson plan for this kit HERE.
Outreach Kit Materials
- Duo tang with Lesson Plan.
- Two laminated FAO "Soil can be Worn Away" activity pages
- Laminated example of Activity #2 display layout
- Laminated photographs: examples of effects of soil erosion
- Five run-off samples obtained from the demonstration
- Five plastic jugs filled with soil for demonstration
- Fine textured soil: silt/clay
- Coarse textured soil: sand
- Grass (seeds or turf) – overlays fine textured soil
- Leaf litter or mulch – overlays fine textured soil
- Leaf litter or mulch - overlays coarse textured soil