Library:Module 2 Overview of Website/UBCO
Module 2 Objectives
In this module you will learn the following:
- Key features of the UBC Library website.
- Features of your library account.
This tutorial will take no more than 5 minutes to complete.
Failure to close the box before opening the next section may require you to scroll up to locate the beginning of the section.
UBC Okanagan Library Homepage
The UBC Okanagan Library homepage offers a variety of services and resources to students for their coursework but navigating the website can be confusing. This tutorial will introduce you to key features of the library homepage.
You will find the UBC Okanagan Library website at: http://www.ubc.ca/okanagan/library
Key Features of the UBC Okanagan Library Homepage
There are number of features and services on the library website. While this can be daunting, learning about the website will make your searching experience easier. The features shown here highlight services and resources you will need to complete research for your courses.
1 Search Collections
- Search Collections is a portal where you can search through all the materials the Library owns or licences.
2 Use the Library
- Use the Library shows links to information on borrowing, library equipment and services, booking study rooms and accessing online materials from home.
3 Get Research Help
- Get Research Help links to guides covering the research process - including getting started, evaluating and citing sources and getting published.
4 Search Box
- The large central search box allows you to search through the Library's collections. This search box is called Summon. Summon is the Library's most comprehensive search engine. Fast and powerful, it is a good starting point no matter what your topic. Use it to find information in any discipline and pretty much any format: journal articles, print and electronic books, dissertations, maps, CDs and DVDs and much more. You will learn more about this search tab in this tutorial.
- To access your library account and library resources away from campus, login to the library using the Login. To login you will need your Campus Wide Longin (CWL)or your UBC Card barcode and pin. Your library account provides you with information about materials you have borrowed and late fees. You will also be able to renew materials you have checked out.
To learn how to navigate the library homepage and more about the features mentioned above, watch this short video:
Test Your Knowledge
How many days can an undergraduate student borrow a book? Using your knowledge about the library website, open the link in a new tab and find an answer to the question.
- One month
- 7 days
- 3 days
- Two weeks