More Major Styles
ACS (American Chemical Society)
ACS is the standard style used for Chemistry.
APA (American Psychological Association)
American Psychological Association (APA) style is the standard style used for psychology and many other academic disciplines, especially the social sciences.
APA Style Guides Online
APA Style Guide In Print
ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers)
- UBC First Year Biology Website (See “Referencing in BIOL 140” in the “Resources” tab)
The Chicago Manual of Style provides two distinct citation styles: Humanities style (notes and bibliography) and Scientific/Social Sciences styles (parenthetical author/date references and reference list). Be sure to check with your instructor regarding which style they prefer that you use. Chicago style is sometimes called Turabian style, which is a modified version.
Chicago/Turabian Style Guides Online
Chicago/Turabian Style Guides in Print
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations (Kate Turabian)
CSE (Council of Science Editors)
A parenthetical style used most commonly in the UK and Australia.
IEEE Style (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
IEEE Style is used primarily in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Used primarily in Law
Modern Languages Association (MLA) style is one of several styles for academic citation. It is used in the humanities, especially English.
MLA Style Guides Online
- MLA Style Guide (UBC Library pdf)
- MLA Formatting and Style Guide (Purdue OWL)
- Frequently Asked Questions About MLA Style
MLA Style Guide in Print
ICMJE Recommendations / Vancouver Style / Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts (URMs)
Commonly used in medical and scientific journals. The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors has revised and renamed this style (Dec. 2018).
- Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals (ICMJE Recommendations)
- Vancouver Style 'How To' Guide (University of Queensland Library)
- Vancouver Referencing (Curtain University Library)
- Citing Medicine: NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers (National Library of Medicine)
- BCIT (Vancouver Style Guide)