Library:Databases and Guides
Databases & Guides
B.C. Newspaper Index - 1900-1990 (microfilm)
- This index has selective coverage of the Vancouver Sun, Province, Times-Colonist (and predecessors Victoria Times and Colonist) for 1900-1990. It was developed by the BC Legislative Library so the focus is articles about BC history, politics, and economics. This index on microfilm is images of the original index cards. You can search only by subject or name headings.
- It is important to start your search by first finding suitable subject headings: consult the B.C. Provincial Library Newspaper Index List of Subject Headings and updates. Once you have found suitable subject headings, proceed to the microfilm collection for the B.C. Newspaper Index at Koerner Microforms AW1 R5065, consult the appropriate reels, and note the citations to articles you wish to read. The articles are found on other microfilm reels for the appropriate newspapers and dates.
- Still need help? Ask for assistance at the Humanities and Social Sciences Reference Desk in Koerner Library.
B.C. Newspaper Index - 1991 - current (online)
- This online index has selective coverage of the Vancouver Sun, Province, and Times-Colonist for 1991 to current. It is produced by the BC Legislative Library so the focus is BC history, politics, and economics. Search by subject/name, headline, author, keyword. Because this is an index, once you have found references for articles of interest, you must then locate the full text of the articles in either microfilm or online newspaper collections at the Library. Canadian Newsstand has the full text of most articles listed in this index.
BCARS (British Columbia Archives and Records Service) Newspaper Index - pre-1900 to 1980s (microfiche)
- Indexes articles in a variety of historical British Columbia newspapers. Microfiche of BCARS index cards for newspaper articles. Coverage from pre-1900 newspapers through to 1980s. Depth of coverage varies. Because this is an index, once you have found references for articles of interest, you must then locate the full text of the articles in either microfilm or online newspaper collections at the Library.
- This multi-volume print index covers various Canadian newspaper titles: Calgary Herald, Halifax Chronicle Herald, Globe and Mail, Montreal Gazette, Toronto Star, Vancouver Sun, and Winnipeg Free Press. This index covers the years 1980-1992.
- This multi-volume print index covers various Canadian newspaper titles: Globe and Mail, Montreal Star, Toronto Star, Vancouver Sun, and Winnipeg Free Press. Index covers the years 1977-1979, and is continued by the Canadian News Index (above).
- Online full-text and indexing of national and leading regional newspapers. Full access to the articles, columns, editorials, features, and selected letters to the editor. Date coverage varies but typically last ten to fifteen years.
- The Current Events section of this database features newspapers, newswires, and newsmagazines as well as television and radio transcripts. It is updated daily, with full text content and indexing.
- Full text of over 9000 news sources. Has Canadian and international newspapers, including the Globe and Mail. Updated daily with no embargoes. License allows only 6 simultaneous users.
Index to Prince George Newspapers
- Print index of 6 Prince George newspapers from 1909-1923.
- Full-text online news source for some Canadian newspapers including the Globe and Mail, but focus is U.S. and international sources.
Newspaper Index for Saskatchewan
- Print index of Saskatchewan newspapers from 1930-1983.
- Index and full text to historical prairie newspapers; over 35,000 newspaper issues.
- Online searchable index of stories published in Saskatchewan newspapers 1884-2000.
Union Catalogue of British Columbia Newspapers
- This invaluable 3-volume set attempts to "include all known newspapers published in the province." Search by newspaper title, place of publication, or type of newspaper (including ethnic, political, financial, labour, student, and underground). Record for each title includes: dates of publication, publishers and editors, frequency of publication, indexing sources for each title, variations on titles (former, merged with, continued by, etc.), and holdings (institutions that own copies, by date and format).
If you don't see the index you want, check this source: Checklist of Indexes to Canadian Newspapers held by the National Library of Canada.
US and International Newspaper Collections - Full-Text Databases
- Full text of Canadian and international newspapers. International newspapers include: New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Sunday Times, Times [London], Le Monde, Washington Post. License allows only 6 simultaneous users; Lexis-Nexis is another source for many of the same newspapers.
Factiva Inside Out User Guide (PDF) - examples for advanced searching including using connectors such as: and, or, not, w/#, atleast, same, and more.
- Full text of U.S. and International news sources.
LexisNexis Help with advanced search strategies - examples for advanced searching including using connectors such as: and, not, w/#, atleast, w/p, w/s
ProQuest Historical Newspapers
- Offers full-text and full-image articles for newspapers dating back to the 19th century. For most titles, the collection includes digital reproductions of every page from every issue - cover to cover - in downloadable PDF files. Collection includes: New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Christian Science Monitor.
- Important international English language news source. Includes newspapers and news magazines, radio and television broadcast transcripts. Areas covered include Central Eurasia, China, East Asia, Near East & South Asia, East Europe, West Europe, South and Central America, and Sub-Saharan Africa. Information is generally available within two to three days of original publication or broadcast.