Library:DESC Terms of Reference
The Office of Learning Technology supports Faculties that offer courses and programs to students who prefer alternative (technology-enabled) learning modes, seek scheduling flexibility and/or are unable to come to campus. These offerings bridge physical and administrative distances, enabling students to balance their educational, professional and personal lives. OLT partners with various campus units in these efforts, including UBC Library. The Library provides distance education students with remote access to print and electronic collections, instructional resources, reference services and a range of other services to support them in their academic endeavours.
The primary purpose of this committee’s work will be to meet regularly to ensure the needs of distance education students are being met by the Library, to identify gaps that exist and address them through service enhancements and improvements.
Roles & Responsibilities
- To gather, review, and respond to feedback from distance education students about the support they receive through OLT and UBC Library.
- To identify and address any problems, issues or challenges that have surfaced throughout the term.
- To share information about support for distance education and ensure that each unit is up to date on any changes to services, resources, etc.
- To more fully integrate the Library into the course design process so that it can proactively build relevant electronic collections.
- To advance opportunities for collaboration related to the development, delivery, and promotion of the Library’s instructional programs that support *research
- To evaluate and assess library services for distance education on a regular basis and make adjustments in response to usage changes, user feedback, etc.
- To develop communication pathways to connect distance education students and instructors to subject librarians.
- Teaching & Learning Librarian
- Distance Learning Support Librarian
- 3 Liaison Librarians
- Borrower Services Staff
- 2 Borrower Services Librarian
- Associate University Librarian, Collections
- Distance Learning Manager
- Course Support Liaison
- Production Support
- 2 Instructional Designers
- Learning Designer
- Enrolment Services representative
Meetings to be held three times a year in February, June and October.
This committee will report back to the Library’s Public Services Committee.
Back to: DESC Main Page