Documentation:Wiki Editing for Students
This is a space to organize resources associated with orientating classes to wiki editing using the UBC Wiki or Wikipedia.
Wiki Editing: Overview for Students
Class Assignment: Lexicography Tool Review as Class Resource
Note: This course assignment used the UBC Wiki
- Instructor: Mark Turin
- Class time: 90 minutes
- Context: students and instructor new to wiki editing/ preparing for an assignment to create a wiki entry (UBC Wiki) on a lexicography tool.
- Course assignment page: http://wiki.ubc.ca/Course:FNEL_382
- see discussion page for further thoughts/comments/questions.
Class Assignment: Canadian Literature on Wikipedia
Note: This course assignment used Wikipedia (WikiEDU)
- Instructor: Kathryn Grafton
- Class time: 3 classes of 90 minutes for a wiki edit-a thon - orientation/ research support for the first class and consultation/support for classes where students were working on their projects.
- Context: students new to wikipedia editing/ focus: adding to the articles on Wikipedia about Canadian Literature: authors, novels, etc. - full pages to edits to existing articles.
- Course assignment page (on Wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiki_Ed/UBC/ENG470D-003_Canadian_Studies_(2017)
General Notes on Wiki Support
- meet with Instructor to determine
- why wiki?
- what they want to do with the wiki and their students (the assignment)
- their own experience with wikis
- UBC Wiki vs. Wikipedia
- create a lesson plan for student orientation:
- specific to course
- specific to assignment
- focus on students editing.