Assistance with using any form of copyrighted material in the preparation of scholarly materials, including:
- Course Materials – course material reviews for copyright compliance; permissions assistance; posting material in Connect; using images in the classroom, etc.
- Theses – using images and figures; using prior publications, etc.
- Journal Articles & Publications – using prior publications, copyrighted materials; copyright transfer agreements
- Presentations & Posters – using images; distributing copies, etc.
Faculty and Staff:
- Copyright Consultations: help with questions through email, phone, or at weekly in-person clinic (sign up here, or just drop-in).
- Course material reviews: copyright review of teaching materials (reading lists, Powerpoint presentations, etc).
- Permissions: assistance with obtaining permission / transactional licenses for course materials
- See the Faculty of Graduate Studies Events Page for future sessions of this workshop.
|General Contact Info
Email for all services: email@example.com
For immediate assistance:
Devin Soper, Faculty Course Associate: 604.827.2006
|Whom to Refer To
||Email goes to everyone in office; the appropriate person will get back to patron.
|If Staff not Available
- Provide email address: firstname.lastname@example.org (usually same-day response)
- Refer to website: http://copyright.ubc.ca/
||Koerner, HSS Offices
|Hours of Service
||Monday-Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm
|Keywords and Phrases
- Scholarly Communication
- Open Access
- Author Rights
- Thesis / Dissertation
- Scholarly Sharing
- E-licenses / Transactional licenses
- Can I post this PDF of a reading to Connect for my students?
- Can I use this image / figure / graph in my thesis?
- Do I have to ask permission to use it?
- Can I take this map / data set / image and add my own information to it for my thesis?
- Do I have to ask permission to do this?
- Can I use parts of an article I have published in my thesis / a new article?
- How do I get permission to use this copyrighted material?
- Do I have to ask permission to use this data set?