Documentation:Faculty of Arts/Online Teaching Resources/Managing Files
The file manager is where you store all of the files associated with your course content. There are many ways you can upload files into the file manager:
- Web Folder:If you are using Internet Explorer, you can use the I.E. Web Folder feature. This will open up your file manager as a window and allow you to drag and drop files and folders into WebCT Vista. It's a really quick way to get content into your course.
- File Browse: You can browse to your local computer to locate files to be uploaded into WebCT Vista. You cannot bring in folders using this method, but you can bring in multiple files if you hold down the Shift or CTRL keys while selecting the files.
- Dreamweaver: If you use * Dreamweaver for creating your html pages, you connect using the remote server connection to WebCT Vista. You can upload and manage all files in WebCT Vista right within Dreamweaver.
Folders Keep your file manager extremely organized to avoid headaches in the future. A good practice to follow is using folders to organize all your different types of files and content. We suggest creating a folder for the following:
Within the content folder, break down your information into weeks, chapters, or unit folders. If your course was created by an instructional designer or you downloaded one of our available templates, the suggested file structure will already be created for you.
Be sure you store all content associated with your course in the "Course Files" file manager. Files found in "My Files" will not be assessable by your students.
- Java: You must have the correct version of Java on your computer to upload multiple files from your local computer.
- Web Folder: Internet Explorer is the only browser you can use to access the Web Folder option.
- File Types: A good practice to follow is to use HTML and PDF file types in your course for getting content to your students. Getting information to your students using Word documents can cause students security issues and prevent students from viewing the content.
View Flash Video (Courtesy of Utah State University)
The PDF and Flash Video will demonstrate how to do the following: Navigate File Manager
- Create folders
- Move files
- Upload with the file manager
- Upload with a web folder
- Upload with Dreamweaver
Additional Flash Videos (Courtesy of Arts ISIT)