Documentation:Faculty of Arts/Online Teaching Resources/Gradebook
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Using the Gradebook
- Record grades online, so that you can access your gradebook anywhere.
- Make grades visible to students so they know how they are progressing in your class.
- Have final grades calculated automatically using formulas.
- Use the gradebook to unenroll students, grant or deny access, access assignment submissions, conveniently send an email to students, or access detailed student performance reports.
There are a few things to remember when you use the WebCT Vista gradebook:
- Paging tool: Not all students are displayed automatically on the gradebook screen. You must determine which and how many records are shown using the page menu at the bottom left of the screen.
- Column order: The arrangement of columns in the View All tab is what your students will see. Changing column arrangement under one tab will not change it under another.
- Formula editing: Formulas for calculated columns in WebCT Vista are an improvement over WebCT CE, but they still do not permit manual editing. Also, the "undo" button might be better termed "backspace," since it deletes the last formula entry, even on a saved formula.
- Grading Scheme: The default grading scheme in WebCT Vista doesn't match that used at this institution. For instance, A+ is one of the grade options.
- Sticky Filters: If you use the "Find Members" tool to display only certain students, the filter you set will remain in effect until you select a new filter option or log out of WebCT Vista entirely.
View Flash Video (Courtesy of Utah State University)
The PDF and Flash Video will demonstrate how to do the following:
- Create columns
- Create calculated column formulas
- Create a letter grade column
- Tab explanation
- Delete columns
- Rename columns
- Sort columns
- Hide/Show columns
- Reorder columns
- Release columns
- Enter grades
- Change a grade
- Export to a spreadsheet
- Import from a spreadsheet