- Collecting and organizing your documents and portfolio artifacts will give you a better sense on how you want to present your eportfolio.
- When you add information to the Web remember it is a public place. It is important that you understand the systems privacy controls and understand who can acces you ePortfolio
- Think broadly when selecting artifacts to add to your ePortfolio. In addition, to showcasing your academic work e-Portfolios can include evidence gained at university, at work or in your personal life.
- Keep your e-Portfolio up-to-date. It can be difficult to go back through your experiences and reflect on them.
The following two frameworks can assist you with your reflections:
1. STAR-L, Situation, Task, Action, Result and Lessons Learned
- Situation-the context in which the material occurred.
- Task-What was required of you in this situation?
- Action-The steps that you took to respond this task.
- Result-The outcome of your actions. How did your actions contribute to the completion of the task?
- Learned-What you have learned from the experience?
2. What? So What? Now What?
- What? Describe context and details of the experience.
- So what? Explain the significance of the experience in relation to your own practice.
- Now what? Explain how you will continue personal or professional growth in this area.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Create Your e-Portfolio
- Why create an e-Portfolio?
- Who will be viewing this portfolio and what is it’s purpose? Is the portfolio designed for documenting your learning or highlighting your work experience?
- Click here for a discussion of types of ePortfolios.
- Do I have appropriate and interesting media content to illuminate my competencies and artistic capabilities?
- Click here to view an example of a ePortfolio that uses interesting media content
- Do I have the correct contact information, phone number, professional email address, phone number with a professional voicemail?
- Click here to view guidelines on professional ePortfolios.
- Are my privacy settings in place to ensure my online presence is available for networking and employers while my personal information is protected?
- Click here to read about privacy considerations online.