Documentation:Connect/Use the GroupBuilder Tool
GroupBuilder is a new tool in Connect that enables instructors to create customized groups based on columns in the Grade Center such as students' major, year level and grades.
Instructors can also import group information from CSV files as well as export groups they made within Connect.
This document will show you how to:
- Enable the GroupBuilder Tool
- Use the GroupCreator
- Identify instructor best practices facilitated by this tool
Watch the video below to go through the steps in video format:
Enable the GroupBuilder Tool
- On your course page, go to the Course Management sidebar, click Customization, and click Tool Availability.
- On the Tool Availability page, scroll down and find the GroupBuilder tool, click the checkbox to enable it and then click Submit.
- The GroupBuilder tool should now be enabled. Go to the Course Management sidebar again and click the GroupBuilder link.
- You should be seeing a page like this:
How to use the GroupCreator
- Give a name to the new group.
- Select the desired search parameters and then click search.
- Check that the student selections are correct.
- Can choose whether to create a new group with the selected users or add the selected users to an exisiting group.
- Click submit if everything looks good.
The Connect Learning Management System significantly expands the toolsets of teachers and learners. This tool directly:
- Enables streamlined group creation based on Grade Center data
- Immerses students in effective and innovative use of the LMS encouraging participation and exploration in these learning technologies
This function supports a number of Chickering and Gamson's Seven Principles, including:
- 2. Good practice encourages interaction and collaboration between students
We encourage both students and instructors to read more about the Seven Principles to see how they can inform your teaching and learning.
- Chickering, A. W., & Ehrmann, S. C. (1996). Implementing the seven principles. AAHE Bulletin, 49(2), 2-4.