Documentation:Connect/Use Smart Views in the Grade Center (How To)
Smart Views allow you to create a custom, focused look at a set area of the Grade Center. It shows only the columns that match the criteria you enter, and then that view is saved for continued use. When the Grade Center includes a great number of students and columns, you can use Smart Views to quickly find data. You can even set a Smart View as the default view of the Grade Center and change it at any time. You can tag Smart Views as favorites so they appear in the Grade Center section of the Control Panel. Favorite Smart Views will appear in alphabetical order as an indented list under Full Grade Center.
This document will show you:
- Uses and examples of Smart Views
- How to access Smart Views in the Grade Center
- How to add a Smart View to the Grade Center
- How to remove a Smart View from the Grade Center
- How to add an existing Smart View to favorites to appear on the Course Menu.
Watch the video below on how to use Smart Views in the Grade Center:
Uses and examples of Smart Views
With Smart Views, you can view the progress of the following:
- An existing group
- Student performance for a particular item
- Individual students
- Category and status of items
- Custom combination of attributes
The following examples provide scenarios where Smart Views are helpful:
- Example 1: Tracking Low Scores: You can create a Smart View to track students with low scores to quickly see which students need help. You can email these students directly from the Grade Center or decide to create remedial materials or alternative assessments for them.
- Example 2: Assessment Comparison: You can create a Smart View to display only two columns in the Grade Center grid: a calculated Total column for tests and a calculated Total column for assignments. You can then compare the two columns to gauge how students are performing on each type of assessment.
How to access Smart Views in the Grade center
- From the left-hand course menu, select Grade Center.
- Click Full Grade Center.
- From the Mange tab, click Smart Views.
How to add a Smart View to the Grade Center
- Click Create Smart View.
- Enter a name for the Smart View.
- Enter a description if desired.
- Check if you want to add the Smart View to favorites, so that the view will appear in the left-hand course menu under Grade Center.
- Select the type of data the Smart View will display.
- Enter criteria, condition, and value for the data.
- Select a column to include in the Smart View and check if you would like hidden information to be displayed.
- Click Submit.
How to remove a Smart View from the Grade Center
- From the Smart Views page, select the check box to the left of the Smart View title.
- Click Delete.
- Click OK.
How to add a Smart View to favorites to appear on the Course Menu
- From the Smart Views page, find the Smart View you would like to add to favorites.
- From the Favorites column, check the green favorites star in row of the Smart View you would like to add to favorites.
- Click OK
- Getting Started with the Grade Center (pdf)