Documentation:Connect/Send Early Warning Notifications based on a Last Access Rule (How to)
You can use the notifications system as either an early warning to communicate performance concerns to your students or as a nice way of acknowledging a student who has performed exceptionally well in class activities.
As an early warning system, you can create a Last Access Rule that sends a message out based on when was the last time a student accessed the course. When a student has not logged into Connect after a certain number of days you will be notified to send a message to them.
You can also run status checks to see if any of your student's performance has met the grade criteria necessary for a notification.
This document will show you how to:
- Create a Last Access Rule
- Run status checks
- Send notifications to students
Create a last access rule
- From the Course Management menu on the left-hand side, select the Control Panel.
- Click Early Warning System under Evaluation.
- Go to Create Rule at the top of the page.
- Click Last Access Rule.
- In the 1. Rule Information section, give the rule a name.
- In the 2. Rule Criteria section, enter how many days a student has not accessed the course before you get notified.
- Click Submit at the top or bottom of the page.
Run status checks
- Check the box next to the rule.
- Click Refresh at the top of the section.
- Click OK to refresh all selected Rules for all users. The number of warnings that have been identified will be displayed in the Number of Warnings column.
- To view the students who meet the warning criteria, hover over the rule's name
- Click the facedown arrow to open the contextual menu.
- Click Review Rule Status.
The Review Rule Status shows you which student meets the rule you have set and when was the last notification sent to them.
Send notifications to students
- In the Review Rule Status area, select a check box by the student's name(s) you wish to send notifications to.
- Go to Notify at the top or bottom of the page.
- Click Student Only.
- Edit the email information subject and message and attach a file, if desired.
- Click Submit.
Click Notification History to browse the record of sent notifications.