Documentation:Connect/Send Early Warning Notifications based on a Grade Rule (How to)
You can use the notifications system as either an early warning to communicate performance concerns to your students or as a nice way of acknowledging a student who has performed exceptionally well in class activities.
As an early warning system, you can create a Grade Rule that sends a message out based upon a defined score. Students that score above or below a defined grade trigger the notification for you to send.
You can also run status checks to see if any of your student's performance has met the grade criteria necessary for a notification.
This document will show you how to:
- Create a Grade Rule
- Run status checks
- Send notifications to students
Watch the video below on how to send notifications based on a grade rule:
Create a Grade Rule
- To begin, from the Course Management menu on the left-hand side, select the Control Panel.
- Click Evaluation > Early Warning System.
- Click Create Rule > Grade Rule.
- In the Rule Information section, enter a name for the rule.
- In the Rule Criteria section, select an item in the grade center to apply the notification to.
- Define the grade criteria and set the score for when the notification should be deployed.
- Click Submit.
Run status checks
- Check the box next to the rule.
- Click Refresh at the top of the section.
- Click OK to refresh all selected Rules for all users. The number of warnings that have been identified will be displayed in the Number of Warnings column.
- To view the students who meet the warning criteria, hover over the rule's name
- Click the facedown arrow to open the contextual menu.
- Click Review Rule Status.
The Review Rule Status shows you which student meets the rule you have set and when was the last notification sent to them.
Send notifications to students
- In the Review Rule Status area, select a check box by the student's name(s) you wish to send notifications to.
- Go to Notify at the top or bottom of the page
- Click Student Only
- Edit the email information subject and message and attach a file, if desired.
- Click Submit.
Click Notification History to browse the record of sent notifications.