Documentation:Connect/Send Early Warning Notifications based on a Due Date Rule (How to)
You can use the notifications system as either an early warning to communicate performance concerns to your students or as a nice way of acknowledging a student who has performed exceptionally well in class activities.
As an early warning system, you can create a Due Date Rule that sends a message when a student fails to submit or complete an assignment, test or survey by the due date.
You can also run status checks to see if any of your student's performance has met the due date criteria necessary for a notification.
This document will show you how to:
- Create a Due Date Rule
- Run status checks
- Send notifications to students
Create a due date rule
- From the Course Management menu on the left-hand side, select the Control Panel.
- Click Early Warning System under Evaluation.
- Go to Create Rule at the top of the page.
- Click Due Date Rule.
- In the 1. Rule Information section, give the rule a name.
- In the 2. Rule Criteria section:
- Select a Grade Centre Item: select which grade activity you want to receive notifications for;
- Specify Attempt: if you've allowed multiple attempts, set the minimum number of attempts before you get notified;
- Define Criteria: set if you want to know if students submitted earlier or later than the due date;
- Date Offset: set when you want to receive the notification.
- Click Submit at the top or bottom of the page.
Run status checks
- Check the box next to the rule.
- Click Refresh at the top of the section.
- Click OK to refresh all selected Rules for all users. The number of warnings that have been identified will be displayed in the Number of Warnings column.
- To view the students who meet the warning criteria, hover over the rule's name
- Click the facedown arrow to open the contextual menu.
- Click Review Rule Status.
The Review Rule Status shows you which student meets the rule you have set and when was the last notification sent to them.
Send notifications to students
- In the Review Rule Status area, select a check box by the student's name(s) you wish to send notifications to.
- Go to Notify at the top or bottom of the page.
- Click Student Only.
- Edit the email information subject and message and attach a file, if desired.
- Click Submit.
Click Notification History to browse the record of sent notifications.