Documentation:Connect/Item Analysis Quicksheet
Instructors can use Item Analysis in Connect to easily and quickly refine tests and quizzes by evaluating the quality, effectiveness and validity of each question on student performance discriminators. This feature helps identify ineffective questions. You can use the Automatic Regrade feature to upgrade, delete or regrade the questions.
You may also print out the Item Analysis Quicksheet in pdf format. Blackboard also offers an Item Analysis Tutorial video that covers how to access and run item analysis, view test summary statistics, view question-level statistics, and edit a test question.
This quicksheet includes:
- New Features
- Best Practices
Watch the video overview of the Item Analysis feature on Connect:
Video produced by Blackboard.
Item Analysis has the following features and enhancements:
- View Test Summary (A) of assessments including number of attempts, average score, and average time.
- Identify ineffective questions through the use of the Discrimination (B) feature and collected statistics (C).
- Ineffective questions are identified at the top of the summary.
- Identify which questions need to be reviewed through the use the Legend (D).
- Filter questions (E) by Discrimination, Difficulty (F), and Question Type.
- Update, hide, or regrade any ineffective questions in the Automatic Regrade (G) feature by clicking the Edit Test button. This works even after students have completed the assessment. The updates from this will be automatically reflected into the Grade Center.
Access Item Analysis (how-to)
You can access Item Analysis in two places:
- Through the Grade Center
- Enter Grade Center by going to the Course Menu bar to the left. Scroll down to Course Management section and click on Grade Center.
- Under Grade Center, select Tests link.
- Go to the assessment column (could be Quiz, Test, or Survey) that you would like to perform Item Analysis on.
- Click the chevron in the assessment column to the right of the name of the Assessment.
- From the contextual menu that appears, select Item Analysis.
- Through the Course Content Assessments page
- Go to the Course Menu bar to the left, under Course Content select the link for your assessments.
- Scroll up and down to find an assessment (could be Quiz, Test, or Survey). Hover mouse over an assessment for the chevron to appear beside the assessment link.
- Click the chevron for the contextual menu.
- From the content menu, click Item Analysis.
- Item analysis provides statistics on overall test performance and on individual test questions to discriminate which questions are effective or not effective.
- The grade summary provides insight into student performance on that assessment and how the question items performed.
- In the summary page, scroll up and down to view list of questions in the order of the most ineffective questions listed on top.
- Once you have examined an ineffective question perhaps due to poor wording, vague answer choices, or other factors you can utilize the Automatic Regrade feature to update, delete, or regrade the question in this feature by clicking Edit Test.
- If you choose to regrade make sure to communicate to your students that the assessment is being regraded.