Documentation:Connect/Generate Course Reports (How To)
Course Reports are a useful way to view information about course activity and how students are using your course. You can view summaries of course activity that includes the most frequently used or viewed course areas.
This document will show you:
- Best Practices with using Course reports
- Types of Course Reports you can generate
- How to access Course Reports
- How to generate a Course Report
- How to set Course Report options
- Manage Course reports
Watch the video below on how to generate course reports:
Effective Practices with using Course reports
- Create an Early Warning Notification to be sent to students who are not accessing the course frequently enough to stay on top of the work: How to Send an Early Warning System Based on a Last Access Rule
Types of Course Reports you can generate
There are eight types of reports you can run:
- All User Activity Inside Content Areas: displays a summary of all student activity inside Content Areas for the course to see which content areas are being used.
- Course Activity Overview: displays overall activity within your course, sorted by student and date and includes a report on total and average time each student has spent in the course.
- Course Coverage Report: displays data on course items that have been aligned to goals.
- Course Performance: displays how a single course performs against a selected set of goals.
- Overall Summary of User Activity: displays student activity for all areas of the course, as well as activity dates, times and days of the week. You can use this report to view student access as well as how often Course Tools are used.
- Student Overview for Single Course: displays an individual student's activity within your course, sorted by date. Data includes the total time the student spent in the course, information on the student's activity, such as which items and Content Areas the student accessed and the time spent on each.
- User Activity in Forums: displays a summary of student activity in Discussion Board Forums in the course so you can see which forums are used the most.
- User Activity in Groups: displays a summary of student activity in Groups for the course.
How to access Course Reports
- From the left-hand course menu, click Evaluations under the Control Panel
- Click Course Reports
How to generate a Course Report
- From the Course Reports page, select the type of course report you want to generate
- Click the chevron symbol to the right of the course report title you want to generate
- Click Run
How to set Course Report options
- From the Run Reports page, set the Report Specifications. Options will vary depending on the type of report.
- Select a report format from the drop-down menu. You can choose between PDF, HTML, Excel, or Word, though charts do not display in Excel format.
- Set a Start Date and an End Date to set beginning and ending dates for the report.
- Select students for reports to be run on a single student.
- Select users for reports to be run on one or more students. Windows users can select multiple students by clicking the SHIFT+ select or CTRL+ select while Mac users press COMMAND+ select.
- Set Average Range and Target Performance Level: This is required for course performance reports.
- Select if you would like to Show Unavailable Students and/or Show Unaligned Students in the report.
- Click Submit. If a course report includes a large number of students, it can take several minutes or longer for a report to be generated. PDF and HTML formats open directly in a new window. Excel and Word prompt you to save the file first. To print reports, use the print function in the application window that the report opened in.
- Note: Enable pop-ups for your browser if you are prompted.
Manage Course Reports
After a report is successfully run, you can then:
- Save to Content Collection: You can save the report to a folder in the Content Collection.
- Download Report: Save the report to your computer.
- Run a New Report: Return to the Run Reports page to run the report again with different criteria.
- Click OK when finished.