Documentation:Connect/Create a UBC Blogs Course Blog (How to)
The UBC Blogs Tool creates a blog on UBC Blogs, which runs on WordPress and is independent from your Connect course. It also creates a link in your course which students can click on and be automatically added to the course blog.
You can also limit the link's availability to specific groups within your course, giving them their own space to collaborate and explore ideas.
This document will show you:
- Some best practice
- How to create a UBC Blogs course blog
- Have a discussion with your students on what are your expectations, including the type of discussions and some ground rules, for their participation in the course blog.
- Be mindful of your copyright obligations when using material either on your course blog or Connect. Use open educational resources as much as possible and regularly consult copyright.ubc.ca.
- UBC Blogs has 5 different levels of privacy. You can change them at anytime by going into the blog's dashboard. Use the one that will best help your students achieve their learning goals. See Changing Privacy Settings on UBC Blogs.
Create a UBC Blogs Course Blog
- Go to a content area in your course.
- Hover over Tools in the top menu and click on UBC Blogs.
- In 1. Tool Information, enter a name and a description for the course blog.
- Note: Once you enter a new name, you will see the Unsaved Changes icon (). It only indicates that you made a change that needs to be saved.
- (Optional) In 5. Options, choose to make the link to the course blog available, track the number of views, or have date and time restrictions.
- (Optional) In 6. Groups, limit which groups can see the course blog link.
- Click Submit at the top or bottom of the page.
- UBC Blogs Tool Link Quicksheet
- A quick overview of the UBC Blogs Tool Link.
- Delete a UBC Blogs Course Blog
- Learn how to delete a UBC Blogs course blog.
- Blogs eLearning Toolkit
- A short guide on what is a blog and how it can support you in your teaching.
- WordPress Basics 1 Guide
- A step-by-step guide to help you get started with WordPress and UBC Blogs.
- WordPress Basics 2 Guide
- If you're ready to wade in a little bit deeper with UBC Blogs, this guide can help you with widgets, plugins, custom menus and back-ups.
- WordPress Workshops and Drop-in Clinics
- You can register for any of the WordPress Basics Workshops for a guided hands-on learning experience. Drop-in clinics are also available every 1-3PM, Mondays and Thursday at the CTLT Offices in IKBLC.
- WordPress.com Essential Training
- Learn the ins and outs of using WordPress.com, the same platform that we use to support UBC Blogs, in this online course. This is only available to UBC faculty and staff and as part of the Lynda.com pilot.