Documentation:Connect/Create a Syllabus (How To)
A syllabus is a useful outline of a course, including the course objectives, assignments, class schedule, required texts, and more. In Connect, a syllabus is created in a Content Area. To ensure easy access for student's to the syllabus, it is recommended to create a new Content Area just for the syllabus that will appear on the Course Menu.
Instructors can link to an existing file to use as a syllabus, attach a file from a computer, or even link to Content Collection file if the Administrator has enabled it. Using the Syllabus Builder tool to create a new syllabus allows Instructors customize a template to pre-build lessons as needed, or build lessons one at a time.
This document will show you how to:
- Build a Content Area
- Create a syllabus
- Enter syllabus information
- Set syllabus options
- Add syllabus lessons
Watch the video to below on how to create a syllabus:
Create a syllabus
Syllabi need to be added to a content area. Please the resource on How to Create a Content Area.
- From the left-hand course menu, select the content area created for the syllabus
- Select Build Content > Syllabus
- Choose to Create a New Syllabus to start from scratch, or Use Existing File to upload a file from your computer or the Content Collection
- Click Submit
Enter syllabus information
The Syllabus Builder page is divided into three areas. The first area, Syllabus Information, is divided into three sections and is by default called Description, Learning Objectives and Required Materials. Each of these headings can be changed by editing the heading.
- In the first section, Description, edit the heading if desired and add the section information in the text editor.
- In the second section, Learning Objectives, edit the heading if desired and add the section information in the text editor.
- In the third section, Required Materials, edit the heading if desired and add the section information in the text editor.
- In the Syllabus Design area, select the style and colors for the syllabus:
|Document image||Mainly white with an image of a document faintly visible in the background.||Headers, borders, text|
|Notepad||Similar to the appearance of a piece of notebook paper, the background contains faint blue horizontal lines.||Headers, borders, text|
|Modern||A thin border surrounds the entire syllabus.||Headers, borders, text, background (color or pattern)|
|Classic||A wider frame around the entire syllabus.||Headers, borders, text, frame, background (color or pattern)|
|Contemporary||A wider frame surrounds the content, but is separated into two boxes by the Lessons header.||Headers, borders, text, frame, background (color or pattern)|
|None||The item is styled like other content items with no borders or frames.||Headers, text|
Set syllabus options
- In the Build Lessons area, select if you would like to add lesson shells to your syllabus, and designate a number of lesson shells
- In the Options section, ensure (Yes) is selected for Make the Syllabus Available
- Select if you would like to track the number of views
- Set date and time restrictions for the syllabus, though it is recommended to ensure the syllabus is always available to students
- Click Submit
Add syllabus lessons
- If you choose to add lesson plans, in the syllabus select the contextual menu next to the lesson plan title and click Edit.
- Enter a name for the lesson plan and set the color
- Add a lesson start and end date and time, or select No Lesson Date
- Enter a description for the lesson in the text editor. This can include text, images, or embedded multimedia content.
- Click Submit