Documentation:Connect/Create a Short Answer Test Question (How To)
A short answer question can be added to tests.
You can set a specific length for the answer to short answer questions by limiting the number of rows possible for the answer.
Similar to essay questions, all short answer questions will need to be manually graded.
This document will show you how to:
- Create a short answer question
- Enter the question text and set the options
Watch the video below on how to create a short answer question:
Create a short answer question
- From the Course Management menu on the left-hand side, select the Control Panel
- Under Course Tools, click Tests, Surveys, and Pools
- Click Test
- Edit an existing test by clicking the face-down arrow beside a test's name when you hover over it
- Note: You can also create a new test clicking Build Test at the top of the page
- Click Edit
- Click Create Question at the top of the page
- Click Short Answer
Enter the question text and set the options
- In the 1. Question section, enter the question text
- In the 2. Answer, set the possible number of rows to limit the available space for a student's answer
- (Optional) Enter a sample correct answer for students or evaluators to use as a reference that will be visible to those taking the test
- In the 3. Rubric, attach a previously made or create a new rubric for students to learn how they will be graded
- In the 4. Categories and Key Words section, add descriptive words for the question to make it easier to search for in future tests.
- (Optional) Add instructor notes
- Note: Instructor notes are only visible to you or fellow instructors. It can be an opportunity for you to write down the ideas and goals behind the question for future reference.
- Click Submit at the top or bottom of the page
- The new Short Answer question appears at the bottom of the Test Canvas page, enter the point value of the question in the Points box in the top left corner of the question
- Getting Started with Building a Test (pdf)