Documentation:Connect/Create a Quiz Bowl Question (How to)
In Connect instructors can create Tests, Surveys and Pools that they can use to pose different types of questions to their students. A Quiz Bowl Question, similar to popular television trivia programs, states the answer and asks students to identify the correct question.
This document will show you how to:
- Create a Quiz Bowl Question
- Identify instructor best practices facilitated by this function
Watch the video below to go through the steps in video format:
Create a Quiz Bowl Question
- After building, importing or selecting a new test, survey or pool you will be taken to the Canvas for that item. Just below the title of your item, hover over Create Question in the Action Bar and select Quiz Bowl from the drop-down list.
- Now you are on the Quiz Bowl Question form. To begin, you must input the text of your question into the text box. It is important to remember that in a Quiz Bowl question the "question" will be in the form of an answer and the student will be asked to state the correct answer in the form of a question. You can also title your question.
- You can set your Question Options. Here you can allow students to receive partial credit for their answers.
- Set the interrogative(s) that the student should use to start their response with. You can set the number of interrogatives using the drop down menu above. If you wish to remove any you must do so one by one using the Remove button to the right of each interrogative.
- You must set the Answer Phrases. The default number of phrases is four but you can remove them in the same way as in the previous step. In each desired text field you must type the remaining words of your Answer Phrase. If you want to reduce the number of answers you will need to remove them one by one (remove button is on the right side of each answer text box as noted in the screenshot below).
- Click Next to submit the information you have provided thus far.
- Now on the follow-up form, you must select the best answers for each variable.
- You can customize the feedback received by respondents after selecting the correct or incorrect answers (not applicable to surveys). Type your desired feedback for both types of answers into the text boxes provided.
- You can attach categories, topics, levels of difficulty, or keywords to the question.
- You can record Instructor Notes related to the question for your own records.
- Finally, you must click Submit to save the Quiz Bowl Question you have created to your test, survey, or pool.
The Connect Learning Management System significantly expands the toolsets of teachers and learners. This function directly:
- Streamlines test and survey design as one of several preformatted question forms
- Leverages ease of centralized online assessment
- Immerses students in effective and innovative use of the LMS encouraging participation and exploration in these learning technologies
This function supports a number of Chickering and Gamson's Seven Principles, including:
- 1. Good practice encourages student - faculty contact
- 4. Good practice gives prompt feedback
- 5. Good practice emphasizes time on task
We encourage both students and instructors to read more about the Seven Principles to see how they can inform your teaching and learning.
- Chickering, A. W., & Ehrmann, S. C. (1996). Implementing the seven principles. AAHE Bulletin, 49(2), 2-4.