Documentation:Connect/Create a Journal (How To)
Journals provide a personal writing space for students for self reflection or private communication with the instructor.
This document will show you how to:
- Create a journal
- Set journal availability
- Define settings
- Create a journal link in a Content Area
Watch the video below on how to create a journal:
Create a journal
- To begin, select a Content Area to add a journal to
- Go to Tools at the top of the page
- Click Journals
- From the 1. Create Link: Journal section, click Create New Journal
- In the 1. Journal Information section, enter a name for the journal
- In the text editor, enter a brief description of the subject or some instructions for the journal
Set journal availability
- In the 2. Journal Availability section, select (Yes).
- (Optional) In the 3. Journal Date and Time Restrictions section, set date and time restrictions for the journal availability
- In the 4. Journal Settings section, select whether or not journal entries index will be displayed by week or month
- Set the user settings to determine if students can edit or delete comments and journal entries.
- Note: By default, journals are only visible to the instructor and the student, if you would like journals to be visible to the entire class, select Permit Course Users to View Journal
- If the journal entries will be graded, select Grade and enter the points possible for the entries in the 5. Grade Settings section
- Click Submit at the top or bottom of the page
The new journal appears in the list of existing journals under Link to a Journal.
- Select the journal title you want to link
- Click Next at the top or bottom of the page
- The link name is automatically filled with the journal title, edit if desired.
- Click Submit
The journal link displays in the content area.