Documentation:Connect/Create a Fill-in-the-Blank Test Question (How To)
Fill-in-the-black questions are presented to students as a sentence containing a blank space, which they need to fill with an answer.
Answers are not case-sensitive but are evaluated on an exact text match. You will be able to add multiple answers for the fill-in-the-blank question to allow for spelling differentiation.
This document will show you how to:
- Create a fill in the blank question
- Enter question text, answers, and feedback
Watch the video below on how to create a fill-in-the-blank test question:
Create a fill-in-the-blank question
- From the Course Management menu on the left-hand side, select the Control Panel
- Under Course Tools, click Tests, Surveys, and Pools
- Click Test
- Edit an existing test by clicking the face-down arrow beside a test's name when you hover over it
- Note: You can also create a new test clicking Build Test at the top of the page
- Click Edit
- Click Create Question at the top of the page
- Click Fill in the Blank
Enter question text and answers
- In the 1. Question section, enter the question with a blank space where the answer will be filled in by the student.
- In the 2. Answers section, select the Number of Answers possible for the question
- Enter the possible answers in each text box displayed. Because answers are based on an exact text match, you can add similar answers that are spelled differently.
- In the 3. Feedback' section, you can enter feedback to be displayed for both correct and incorrect answers.
- In the 4. Categories and Key Words section, add descriptive words for the question to make it easier to search for in future tests.
- In the 5. Instructor Notes section, add notes for yourself such as your objective for the question or thoughts for future revisions.
- Click Submit at the top or bottom of the page
- The new fill-in-the-blank question appears at the bottom of the Test Canvas page, change the point value of the question in the Points box in the top-left corner of the question.
- Getting Started with Building a Test (pdf)