Documentation:Connect/Create a Fill-in-Multiple-Blanks Test Question (How To)
Fill-in-Multiple-black questions are presented to students as a sentence containing one or more blank spaces students need to fill with the appropriate answers. Answers are not case-sensitive but are evaluated on an exact text match. This document will show you how to:
- Create a fill in the multiple blanks question
- Enter question text and answers
- Enter the correct answers
- Enter feedback and set point value
Watch the video below on how to create a fill-in-the-multiple-blanks test question:
Create a fill-in-the-multiple-blank question
- From the Course Management menu on the left-hand side, select the Control Panel
- Under Course Tools, click Tests, Surveys, and Pools
- Click Test
- Edit an existing test by clicking the face-down arrow beside a test's name when you hover over it
- Note: You can also create a new test clicking Build Test at the top of the page
- Click Edit
- Click Create Question at the top of the page
- Click Fill in Multiple Blanks
Enter question text and answers
- In the 1. Question section, enter the question with square brackets around the variables students are asked to fill in. Variables must be unique and cannot be reused and should be composed of alphabets, digits (0-9), periods (.), underscores (_) and hyphens (-).
- Example: Pluto is now a [blank_1]. Jupiter has [blank_2] moons.
- In the 2. Options section, select if partial credit will be awarded
- Click Next at the bottom or top of the page to submit the information and proceed to the next steps
Enter the correct answers and feedback
- In each Answers for:___ section, select the number of answers possible for the question
- Enter the possible answers in each text box displayed. Answers are based on an exact text match, you can add similar answers that are spelled differently.
- Click Next at the top or bottom of the page to submit the information and proceed to the next steps
Enter feedback and set point value
- In the 1. Feedback section, you can enter feedback to be displayed for both correct and incorrect answers. Feedback is given once the entire question is answered, not just individual questions.
- In the 2. Categories and Keywords section, add descriptive words for the question to make it easier to search for reuse in future tests
- Click Submit at the top or bottom of the page
- The new fill-in-the-blank question appears at the bottom of the Test Canvas page. You can drop and drop the question to change the order.
- Change the point value of the question in the Points box in the top left corner of the question
- Getting Started with Building a Test (pdf)