Documentation:Connect/Create Total Calculated Column in the Grade Center (How To)
The Total column is a type of calculated column that generates a grade based on the cumulative points earned, related to the points allowed. You can select which columns, Grading Periods, and categories are to be used in the calculation for a Total column. You can also change your selections at any time and the calculation updates automatically.
This document will show you how to:
- Access the Grade Center
- Create a Total Calculated Column
- Set Primary and Secondary Displays
- Set Options
Watch the video below to learn how to create a total calculated column:
Access the Grade Center
- From the left-hand course menu, select Control Panel.
- Click Grade Center.
- Click Full Grade Center.
Create an Average Calculated Column
- Click Create Calculated Column > Total Column.
- In Column Information section, add a column name. This name will appear within My Grades and the Grade Center unless a Grade Center Display Name is added.
- (Optional) add a Grade Center Display Name. This name will only appear in the Grade Center as the column name.
- (Optional) Enter a description of the column. Descriptions will be visible to students in My Grades.
Set Primary and Secondary Displays
- Set a Primary Display option:
- (Optional) Add a Secondary Display option to appear next to the Primary Display in the Grade Center and is only visible to the Instructor.
- In the Dates section, select a grading period.
- In the Select Columns section, select what columns to include in the Total with one of the following options:
- All Grade Columns
- All Grade Columns in Grading Period, then assign a grading period
- Selected Columns and Categories, then use columns and categories menus select columns for the Selected Columns area. You can select multiple items using CTRL + Click or Shift + Click on the PC or Command + Click or Shift + Click on Mac. Click the right directional arrow to move the selected items to the Selected Columns area and click the red “x” to remove an item from Selected Columns.
- Note: If using categories, select an option to weight the columns within this category Equally or Proportionally.
- Equally will apply the percentage evenly across the columns within the category regardless of varying point values.
- Proportionally will apply the percentage based upon the points compared to the other columns within the category.
- Enter a value for dropping a select number of high or low grades.
- Select (Yes) or (No) to indicate whether the column should Calculate as a running total.
- In the Options section, select (Yes) or (No) to include the column in the Grade Center Calculations.
- Select (Yes) or (No) to show the column to the students in My Grades.
- Select (Yes) or (No) to show statistics for the column to the students in My Grades.
- Click Submit.
- Getting Started with the Grade Center (pdf)