Documentation:CTLT programs/Gradute Student and TA Programs
There are two main areas of graduate student programming currently offered through the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT): our internal Graduate Student Program, and the support we offer departmental TA Training Programs.
- Our internal Graduate Student Program consists of workshops, seminars, certificate programs, and one-on-one coaching on teaching and related topics offered directly to graduate students at CTLT. This includes the Instructional Skills Workshop and the Certificate Program in Advanced Teaching and Learning (See below for the full list of programs offered to graduate students):
- Our three-day Instructional Skills Workshops (ISW) are 24-hour professional development sessions for graduate students interested in developing and enhancing their instructional skills. It caters to individuals new at teaching as well as those who wish to refresh and enhance their skills.
- The Certificate Program in Advanced Teaching and Learning is a one-year cohort program with a practicum and mentoring , and a Scholarship in Teaching and Learning components. The program is intended for graduate students wishing to prepare for a career in teaching and learning in higher education. This program re-launched in September 2015. The Program is open to all UBC graduate students who have completed an Instructional Skills Workshop and will remain students at UBC for the one year duration of the program. Click here for more information about how to apply to the program. Please note that there is a one-time program fee of $500 when you are accepted to the program. For any questions you might have about Certificate Program in Advanced Teaching and Learning, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We offer support to departments and academic units around developing, running and sustaining TA Training Programs. This ranges from consultation on proposals for the TA Training Fund, to offering and facilitating customized sessions on various teaching topics.
Graduate Student Program
Our Graduate Student Program offers the following professional development opportunities that may assist graduate students with building teaching skills.
- Instructional Skills Workshops (ISW)
- Certificate Program in Advanced Teaching and Learning
- Grad/TA Institute - Series of workshop offered in mid-January or during the reading break in winter term
- Online TA Institutes were held in May, July, and September 2020. Resources available here.
- Foundations of Pedagogy
- Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning at UBC
- Graduate Formative Peer Review of Teaching Program.
- Graduate Peer Review of Presentation Program
- Graduate Students in Teaching, Mini-Conference - An annual conference for graduate students, TAs and Post Doctoral Fellows in BC, Taking place in Late April/Early May.
- Faculty-TA program - In this program, we offer opportunities for TAs to explore strategies to build a harmonious and rewarding professional relationship with the faculty member they work with. We are currently offering the core component of this program during the CTLT Summer Institute in late August.
Registration information is available on the CTLT Events website.
Other CTLT Programs Open to Graduate Students
In addition to our graduate student-specific programs, CTLT offers other professional development opportunities that are open to graduate students and we encourage you to explore them.
Other Graduate Student Programs at UBC
The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FoGPS) leads the Graduate Pathways to Success (GPS) program. It is a palette of non-credit workshops, seminars and other activities designed to complement your graduate program’s academic curriculum and mentorship experience. FoGPS has also compiled a listing of electronic resources for graduate school success, available here.