Documentation:MediaWiki Basics/Learning Activities/Intermediate
Going Further with UBCWiki
You already have a wiki page and you know how to use it! But are you using all of the features of the wiki to their best advantage? If not, we're offering up some learning activities to help you take your wiki pages to the next level. Learn what's possible and explore the resources you'll need to help you complete each exercise. These is a self guided exercise, but if you get stuck, contact the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology.
These are the resources you'll need to refer to in setting up your page and doing the activities:
- Using Namespaces: http://wiki.ubc.ca/Help:Namespaces
- Adding Media: http://wiki.ubc.ca/Help:Adding_Media
- Adding References: http://wiki.ubc.ca/Help:Footnotes_and_References
- Creating Tables: http://wiki.ubc.ca/Help:Tables
- Using Categories: http://wiki.ubc.ca/Help:Categories
- Create a Subpage: http://wiki.ubc.ca/Help:Subpages
Learn About Namespaces
- Consider why or why not your wiki page should be moved to a namespace
- move it if it fits the criteria
Include Some Media
- insert an image (photo)from a link.
- insert an image (from an upload)
- embed a flash based object (or CC licensed slide deck from Slideshare)
- embed an image as a thumbnail in page
- give your embedded thumbnail a caption
- embed a video from YouTube
- experiment with other media if you have time
- create two subpages
- create links on your parent page to the subpages using the dynamic page list.
Add to Your Watchlist
- add your page to your watchlist
- add another page to your watchlist
Add a Table
- think about some content you would like to represent as a table on your page - sketch it out.
- create a table on your page
Include References and Footnotes
- add 2 references to your page
- add 2 footnotes