Gov Pubs at UBC
Government Publications for the humanities and social sciences are located within Koerner Library. Here you can find reference assistance for the Library's government publications collections.
The bulk of the government publications collection (United Nations, Statistics Canada, Canadian Census) is housed in Koerner Library; however, depending on the subject matter you will also find government publications at the other UBC Library branches - Woodward Library, David Lam Library, Education Library, and the Law Library. The majority of the World Health Organization (WHO) and Food and Agriculture (FAO) publications are located at Woodward Library.
Many current government publications are freely available online but a significant number are available only in print or via specialized databases.
Use one of these Research Guides to identify and locate government materials by jurisdiction.
- British Columbia
- Canadian Census
- Canadian Statistics
- Intergovernmental Organizations
- International Statistics
- United States Federal Government
- United States Statistical Resources
Koerner Library is a full depository library for the Government of Canada. We also receive a comprehensive selection of materials from the BC government. Publications from other Canadian provinces and municipalities are collected on a selective basis. Koerner Library also holds depository status with the following international organizations:
- United Nations
- Food and Agriculture Organization (UN specialized agency)
- World Health Organization (UN specialized agency)
- European Union
- Asian Development Bank
Gov Pubs in research
Government publications are excellent providers of primary source materials, covering topics diverse enough to be of interest to researchers in every discipline.
- locate a bill and all its amendments
- access government-funded research
- locate and read declassified military documents
- track a politician's voting record
- read transcripts of government hearings and much more.