LFS:TEG Workshops/Basics of Blogging
From UBC Wiki
Workshop link: http://bit.ly/TEG_blogging
Photo by Mike Licht, NotionsCapital.com, after J. Howard Miller
What are blogs?
- Personal websites before blogs
- Simple websites 
- Websites with reverse chronological entries 
- Designed for ease-of-use
- All sorts of people are blogging   
- Comments  
- Software: Wordpress, Blogger, Typepad, LiveJournal, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter
- "What Makes A Good Blog?"
- Continuity, discipline
- Part of a community
The Downsides of Blogging
- Privacy - yours and others
- Flame wars, etiquette and worse
- How much access should I allow?
- Google searches and me
- What personal information do I want to share?
- Contact forms
Creative Commons photo courtesy of Flickr user thatcanadiangirl
- Really Simple Syndication
- RSS in Plain English
- Aggregators: Google Reader & Bloglines
- Twitter Feed
- Photos and Flickr: Example
- Audio and SoundCloud: Example
- Videos and YouTube, BlipTV, etc. Example:  & 2
- Google Maps. Example 1 & 2
The Web and copyright