Irving K Barber Learning Centre
|Irving K Barber Learning Centre|
|Address:||1961 East Mall
Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z1
The Irving K. Barber Learning Centre (IKBLC) provides library systems, education centre, library and a conduit of knowledge for lifelong learners and space for UBC Library's print collection and collections of rare and special materials. The building is often simply referred to or called "Ike" for shorthand. The Centre is named for Irving. K. Barber, a philanthropist and a graduate of UBC.
1961 East Mall
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
- Collection space for 2,100,000 volumes including open stack shelving and 1,800,000 item capacity with the Automated Storage and Retrieval System (ASRS)
- Rare Books and Special Collections Fort Fraser Reading Room
- Climate-controlled vault for rare books and archives
- The Wallace B. and Madeline H. Chung Collection
- Group, open, and quiet study spaces
- School of Library, Archival, and Information Studies (SLAIS)
- Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT)
- Gateway Programs – Arts One, Science One, Coordinated Arts and Coordinated Science
- Dodson and Lillooet Rooms
- 157-seat Victoria Learning Theatre
- Classrooms, seminar rooms, project rooms, boardrooms
- Ridington Reading Room and Musqueam Reading Room
- Ike's Cafe with a seating capacity of more than 80 people
Parts of this list was taken from the IKBLC Wikipedia page.
- The Chapman Learning Commons on the 3rd floor is one of the few places on campus (and the only part of the Library system) where students can use a scanner.
Group study rooms
Open Study Spaces
The Learning Centre contains a number of open study areas. The main areas include the Qualicum Reading Room (305), the Chapman Learning Commons (300) and the Golden Jubilee Room (400). These study spaces contain a variety of comfortable furniture, natural light and spaces for individual and group study. There are also study areas located in many of the hallways and foyer areas on all levels.
Quiet and Silent Study
The Learning Centre also contains designated quiet and silent study areas. Silent study areas include the Ridington Room (321) and the Musqueam Room (455). The Nass Reading Room (459) is a designated quiet study area. Please respect others by turning cell phones off or to silent mode, and refraining from talking while using these areas
There are 23 classroom spaces in the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre available for booking. Classroom spaces in the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre are managed by Scheduling Services. To learn more about who can book classroom space in the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre and to make a booking, please visit the Scheduling Services website.
General Use Classroom Support Contact List
|AV Help Desk||604-822-7956||