This document describes how to create an OwnCloud account and upload FROGBEAR/From the Ground Up project content. The intended audience for these instructionss is From The Ground Up project uploaders and team members that require access to project content.
To transfer files from the field trips to the repository, we will be using an interface called OwnCloud. OwnCloud is very much like DropBox or Google Drive, but allows the files to be stored on a variety of different systems. In our case, we will be storing the files on servers at WestGrid, part of the Compute Canada consortium of academic computing resources. This is a large, secure, robust infrastructure for use by Canadian academic institutions. Researchers outside of Canada that are affiliated with a Canada-based research project are also able to access it, but need to be sponsored by a Canadian partner.
For Researchers Based at Canadian Universities (including UBC): Sign up for a Compute Canada account through your home institution (check with your campus IT services for details). After creating a Compute Canada account, you will need to obtain access to the WestGrid servers (see Step 2 below).
For Non-Canadian Researchers: Follow the instructions below.
Step 1: Sign up for Compute Canada Account
Click here to sign up for a Compute Canada account
- The last question asks whether you agree to allow Compute Canada staff to access your data without specific permission; you may leave this as No.
- When you are finished, click Submit.
b) Have you applied for an account before? Click No.
c) Fill out the application form
- Enter your name and contact details.Your application will be processed more quickly if you use an institutional email address (e.g., a university server) rather than a commercial email service such as Gmail or Yahoo.
- Under Position, choose External Collaborator under Sponsored User (even if you also fit one of the other categories, such as Student).
d) Fill in sponsor
- After choosing External Collaborator, a box will pop up to enter a sponsor, identified by a Compute Canada Role Identifier. Please enter Bruce Rusk's CCRI: fvk-921-01
IMPORTANT! the application will not be processed if this is left blank.
e) Choose a username and password and click Submit application.
f) Confirmation email
- You will be sent an email (at the address entered above) to confirm your contact details.
- Click the link in that email to finalize the application.
Within 2-3 business days you should receive a second email with the subject line "Compute/Calcul Canada: New role approved." This means that your Compute Canada account has been created.
Step 2: Create WestGrid Account
Click here to create WestGrid account.
a) Apply to WestGrid
Follow the link to sign in to Compute Canada. You will see a list of consortia;
- click the Apply button beside WestGrid (the last entry):
Once you have applied, your application will need to be approved manually by the Database Coordinator (Bruce Rusk) and by UBC. This should happen within 2 business days.
b) Receive confirmation email
Once you receive this email your account is ready to use. Please email your WestGrid ID (username) to email@example.com
Step 3: Sign in to OwnCloud
Click here to sign in to OwnCloud
- use your WestGrid username and password