Definition and discussion
Wiki is one of the social web tools or technologies that allows users to freely create and edit Web page content using any Web browser. It makes it possible for users to collaborate, share, participate and communicate easily online.
What have you heard about wikis? How are they being used?
In HE and collaborative communities (10 minutes for examples)
- Tutorial resources, created by senior tutors with UBC's Alma Matter Society:
- Collaborative note-taking in a course (check out the history tab):
- Collecting articles and resources around class themes:
- Writing reports, eg. New Media Consortium's Horizon Report wiki:
Wikis and Blogs in Courses
ETEC510 wiki activity is taking place at the following location:
There is information on the set-up of what is now a very large, multi-year community knowledge building activity.
In ETEC540, students do all of their assignments in either a weblog or a wiki, and all assignments are aggregated in a community weblog here:
LIBR548F uses a wiki: http://wiki.ubc.ca/LIBR548F_History_of_the_book
(10 minutes) - setting up an account, editing page, adding images, sharing access.
Create an account with an email you can check from the workshop. Find a partner who you will add to your wiki.
Hands-on - create account here: https://plans.pbworks.com/signup/basic20 - Edit page - Add a link - Add your partner to your page - Consider the question your group has been assigned, add ideas to one of your wikis - Once you have completed your question, go to http://dlsymposium.pbworks.com and add your answer to the main collaboration area. - Read another group's response and add your own ideas.
Questions for discussion:
- What are the user requirements to create a Digital Study Club environment? Make a list.
- What are the benefits associated with implementing a Digital Study Club environment?
- What are the challenges associated with implementing a Digital Study Club environment?
- Make a list of key research questions associated with implementing a Digital Study Club environment.
- Do we need a high level architecture of the environment to support a Digital Study Club? If yes, why?
- What are the next steps for development of a prototype that can be distributed to participating organizations?