TSED 508 Review of Research in Learning Technologies, New Media and the Learning Sciences
- 1 Literacies
1 hour including discussion period.
Outline readings and overview base on the outline
- Dobson, T.& Willinsky, J.(2007). Digital literacy. In Cambridge Handbook on Literacy. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. See Questions for a video interview with T.D.
- Interview with Cynthia Selfe
- Knobel, M., & Lankshear, C. (2002). Critical cyberliteracies: What young people can teach us about reading and writing the world. New York.
- Lemke, J. L. (1998). Metamedia literacy: Transforming meanings and media. In D. Reinking (Ed.), Handbook of literacy and technology: transformations in a post-typographic world (pp. 283-301). Mahwah, N.J.: L. Erlbaum Associates
- Everett, A. (2003). Digitextuality and click theory. In A. Everett & J. T. Caldwell (Eds.), New media: Theories and practices of digitextuality (pp. 3-31). New York: Routledge.
Challenging key terms or methodological/theoretical concepts
Potential Group work activities
1. The truth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHu5YOogV8I
2. Book helpdesk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek
3. Machine is us/ing us http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE This has been shown already (Oct09 by Morgan & Pamela)
5. Understanding music? http://www.slide.com/r/VNeGW7nN3z_4yiY_8ZKvOO5mZVLMAlXC
Handouts discussion questions
Moderate, monitor, bring closure to discussion
Examples of multiliteracies
A video with James Gee Games in Education: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6117726917684965691&q=games+in+education. The part I was thinking of showing is at 3:08