|Instructor:||Dr. Karen Taylor|
|Office Hours:||Wed 1:30-2:30pm
or by appointment
|Class Schedule:||Wed 10am-1pm|
|Important Course Pages|
This is an introductory course in agribusiness management designed specifically for Master of Food and Resource (MFRE) students with or without previous business experience. Topics covered include accounting, finance, marketing, operations, human resources, leadership, quality assurance, crisis management, ethics, and sustainability.
- Students will further develop their understanding of agriculture and business; how the two must go together in order for agribusinesses to be successful.
- Students will analyze four cases (including three site visits) to learn about agriculture and business from successful, sophisticated agribusiness owners.
- This course is a unique opportunity for students to learn theory, see real world agribusinesses, and then use theory to enhance managerial decision-making in a variety of contexts.
This is a Case Study based class. Each case will cover 3 weeks:
- Week 1: Introduction of the case, explanation of the business, the industry, the theory, the issues, and discussion of the assignment.
- Week 2: Site visit to the agribusiness (mandatory).
- Week 3: Submit, present, and discuss the assignment due.
|Activity||Percent of Grade|
Learning Assessment and Alignment
|Learning Objective||Assessment Strategy and Details|
|Students will be able to:
A. Class Participation (20%):
B. Assignments (60%):
C. Final Exam (20%):
A combination of theory and real world examples will be used in this class. Readings from a variety of textbooks will be made available to students to read and learn the theory. Case information will be provided to students, including information on the industry and the agribusiness.
|Date||Class Topics||Resource Material|
|CASE 1 - PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT IN AGRIBUSINESS|
|January 14||Site Visit - Wed 9am-2pm (Mushroom Farm in Langley, BC)|
|January 21||Assignment #1 Due and Class Discussion|
|CASE 2 - LIVESTOCK PRODUCTION & OPERATING UNDER SUPPLY MANAGEMENT|
|February 4||Site Visit - 9am-2pm (Poultry Farm in Abbotsford, BC)|
|February 11||Assignment #2 due and Class Discussion|
|SPRING BREAK FEBRUARY 16-20|
|CASE 3 - ANALYZING A COMPANY (FOR PURCHASE)|
|March 4||Guest Lecture 10am-1pm - in class (Two partners from one of BC's largest Private Equity Firms will come to class)|
|March 11||Assignment #3 due and Class Discussion|
|CASE 4 - FINANCING AN EXPANSION|
|March 25||Site Visit - 9am-2pm (Large Vegetable Greenhouse in Delta, BC)|
|April 1||Assignment #4 Due and Class Discussion|
|April 8||Wrap Up|