Getting Started with UBCWiki
Sometimes, the best way to learn is to roll up your sleeves and just do it! We're offering up some learning activities and the resources you'll need to help you complete each one. These is a self guided exercise, but if you get stuck, contact the UBC Wiki support
These are the resources you'll need to refer to in setting up your page and doing the activities:
Planning Your Wiki Pages
If you already have a specific wiki project in mind, it can help plan out your wiki pages before you begin to edit the wiki. Some questions you might want to think about:
- What is the purpose of your project?
- Will you need multiple pages? How will they be organized?
- How do your pages fit into the overall wiki?
- How do you want people to use your pages?
You can use this planning document as a tool for helping you think about your wiki project.
Create A Wiki Page
- Go to the Sandbox
- Create a page
- Add a bit of text just to start the page and save it.
Move or Rename Your Page
- Give your page a different name
Create Some Headings
- Add at least 4 level 2 headings (to create a table of contents)
- Add at least one level 3 heading under each level 2 heading
Italic and Bold
- Make a word bold
- Make a word italic
Add Some Lists
- create a bulleted list
- create a numbered list
Add Some Links
- create an internal link (to someone else's wiki page)
- create an external link
- rename a link using a pipe
Define a Category
- think of a category that your page may fit within
- add the category to your page
Add to Your Watchlist
- add your page to your watchlist
- add another page to your watchlist
Edit an already existing page on the Wiki
- add a sentence to an already existing page on the UBC Wiki
- using the page history tab, undo the the changes you made to that page
Note: Consider setting up your user profile: This helps identify you on Talk pages.